Railroad Forums 

• P30CH

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#33457  by Justin B

I think these units were built in 1976.

So on the inside were they some of the last U boats built, or were they early dash 7s?
 #33593  by Allen Hazen

The production dates I have for the P30CH (from Marre, "The Contemporary Diesel spotter's Guide," Kalmbach edition of some years back) are 8/75 to 1/76. It was thus introduced after any other (domestic) U-series model, but well before the introduction of the Dash-7 (same source says C30-7 production started in 9/76, with the first B23-7 in 9/77).
Early Dash-7 were an evolutionary development of late U-series models with relatively few technology changes, and the carbody of the P30CH is obviously different (probably involving at least some changes to equipment layout inside), but it seems safest to bet that the "Pooches" were more like U-boats than like Dash-7 in any way the two differ.

#59460  by westernrrtx

Having run both types I can say that P30's and Uboats were very similar. The P30 was basically a Uboat modified for passenger service.

#59542  by shortlinerailroader

There was also a U30CH or U36CH model purchased by Santa Fe (and maybe others). I think they were built in the 60s.

#59637  by Ken S.

shortlinerailroader wrote:There was also a U30CH or U36CH model purchased by Santa Fe (and maybe others). I think they were built in the 60s.
GE Passenger Units by owner

ATSF
U28CG, U30CG

New Jersey DOT/NJ Transit
U34CH

Amtrak
P30CH, 8-32BWH, AMD-103

Metro-North
U34CH (built as U30C for C&NW), AMD-103

ConnDOT
AMD-103

SEPTA
U34CH (leased from NJT)

#59697  by shortlinerailroader

While preparing for church this morning I remembered...I meant to put CG...not CH. The CH's were hood, and the CG's were cowl...right?

#59712  by SSW9389

And U36CGs on NdeM.

#59714  by DutchRailnut

for Metro North add the B23-7's regularly used in passenger service in early years.
 #59743  by D.Carleton

shortlinerailroader wrote:While preparing for church this morning I remembered...I meant to put CG...not CH. The CH's were hood, and the CG's were cowl...right?
AT&SF passenger U-boats were CG to denote their steam Generators. The EL/NJDOT U34CH had an extra alternator for Head end power.
 #59828  by Allen Hazen

Addititions to Ken S's list:
(i) Add VIA as a genesis customer.
(ii) Add NdeM (& I think FC del Pacifico) as an owner of U36CG. (Sorry, SSW9389: started writing this post without noticing you'd already mentioned this one!)
--
Types:
--Minimal modification of freight design, with steam generator ("G" suffix on model designation) or HEP generator ("H" sufix) behind the cab: U28CG, U34CH, U36CG. (The U34CH design seems to have involved some additional internal rearrangements: central air intake is, I think, at radiator end rather than behind cab-- note absence of air intake on hood just behind cab.)
--Similar, but with a cowl: U30CG.
--Cowl unit on lengthened frame with separate HEP engine-generator set at rear: P30CH.
--Hood unit superficially similar to freight types, but with a frame different from any contemporary freight model: B32-8WH. (Overall length is like B40-8W, but truck spacing slightly different: the amount of new engineering required probably more than on the U28CG etc.)
--Special carbody: Genesis (3 submodels).