Railroad Forums 

• KCS returning SD90MACs in favor of B39-8s?

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#336766  by junction tower

Well, the SD9043MAC's were built with the idea that they could be up-converted to true SD90MAC status. Perhaps the 6000 HP units could be turned into SD9043's. The 9043's have been excellent performers for UP from what I hear, basically on par with the SD70M's reliabilty wise. Sell the "H" prime movers back to EMD to freshen up for their marine customers, and have them supply new 710's to go back in. Possible? Yes. Practical? Maybe. Likely? Not very.

#338743  by Tadman

Just because a bunch of leasing companies have painted out UPRR lettering doesn't mean there is too many of them to sue. Look how many people UP is suing over model railroad logo rights, etc... That doesn't mean they will or will not sue those leasing companies, it's more based on the strength of their argument. At this point, it seems it was UP's choice to just slap a black bar through their lettering, so it's a non-issue.

#339298  by junction tower

As far as I know it's the SELLER, in this case UP that paints the line through the name. As image concerned as they seem to be, it's amazing to me that they don't paint out the whole name. I would also assume that UP would have to put on the new owner's reporting marks before the unit could be interchanged off of UP lines, but maybe not. In 1986, Santa Fe sold a flock of CF7's to the then new start-up Indiana Rail Road. The units were delivered via IC and all but a couple of them served out their whole career with INRD in their full Santa Fe paint, with no line-outs, OR INRD reporting marks. Surprising ATSF would be OK with that. I believe one of them still exists like that to this day.