Railroad Forums 

• GEVO Genesis?

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#233454  by NJRail4129

Does anyone know if GE is offering the Genesis with the GEVO HDL-12?
I assume it would be offered "P42AC" over DC.

#233549  by DutchRailnut

There is talks of a 4200HP ac version with the Gevo engine.
are there orders, no not yet.

#235250  by MEC407

It's safe to assume that if GE builds a new passenger locomotive for the North American market, it will have a GEVO inside. They don't appear to be particularly interested in making the FDL Tier 2 or Tier 3 compliant, even though it may be possible to do so (albeit perhaps not practical to do so).

The majority of the commuter roads favor EMD, so it really depends on whether Amtrak wants or needs new diesels, or whether Amtrak even exists in the future. I guess VIA Rail might be a candidate for a GEVO passenger unit as well, but I'd assume their current fleet of P42s still has plenty of life left before they need to be replaced.

#235448  by DutchRailnut

CDOT is seeking bids for 6 Dual modes. and CDOT and MNCR both use Genesis.
 #237168  by Bryanjones

NJRail4129 wrote:Does anyone know if GE is offering the Genesis with the GEVO HDL-12?
I assume it would be offered "P42AC" over DC.
GE does not currently offer a passenger locomotive though plans are in the works for a new model.
Also the Evoloution Series prime mover and the HDL are two different designs are are not the same. The HDL was only used in the AC6000CW and nothing else.

Bryan Jones

#254142  by QR National

I thought the GEVO-12 prime mover was dirrived from the HDL model? Hence only 12 cylinders to produce 6000hp.

Personally, I dont think the Gen-EVO will be much of a hit as the orginals were. Amtrak has replaced most of its fleet with P42's. GE would need some pretty healthy orders to get the ball rolling for these units.

Just my thoughts!

BTW: Whats Tier 3?? Would this affect any modern day locomotives?

#254470  by Luther Brefo

All of these restrictions on the nwere locomotives has got me wondering, what and where are the restrictions on the millions of new cars being produced?

Shouldn't the EPA be more focused on getting the millions of cars on the road up to snuff.

I'm pretty sure that the millions of cars, trucks, and busses collectively are putting out more junk than the thousands of locomotives collectvely. I figure why not be fair and make adjusted requirements for all engines.

#254471  by MEC407

Passenger cars and light trucks/SUVs, as well as most big highway trucks, already have to meet tougher emissions standards than locomotives do.

#254510  by QR National

Here in Australia, our cars and trucks have very tight emission standards, where as locomotives have limited. I know that the American locomotives have a much tighter emission policy than down here, however, our locomotives built after 1990 have had to be silenced. The SD70's (90 Class) are VERY quiet compared with their American counterparts.
 #254923  by Allen Hazen

Yes, the Australian noise regulations seem to be a lot tighter than those in the U.S. With locomotives, this leads to HUGE silencers (in American English: mufflers) over the engines. The bigger recent General Electric (built in Australia by licensee Goninan) types -- the NR class (a lightweight Dash-9) and, I assume, the new QR 5000 class (AC44 in an NR-style carbody) have the exhaust over the GENERATOR end of the diesel engine rather than (as in U.S. GE types) over the turbocharger at the other end: the turbocharger exhaust seems to be fed into the "muffler" which extends the full length of the engine to a "tailpipe" closer to the cab.
--
Similarly, I think E.M.D. types (like the 90 Class) have their exhaust over the end of the engine opposite to the generator, whereas U.S. EMDs have exhaust over the generator end: again, there is a very large muffler over the engine. In British EMD types (Class 59, Class 66) this is visible from above as a tank filling an open roof hatch.
---
I don't know whether this is purely a noise-feduction system or whether it has features that do things for pollutants as well.