Railroad Forums 

• A brief glimpse of a GE most of us don't see

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#1290727  by Allen Hazen

From the "New York Times" website, 2 September 2014:
http://www.nytimes.com/newsgraphics/201 ... k&WT.mc_c=$" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;{CAMPAIGN_ID}
(I have a subscription, but I think non-subscribers get a limited number of views per month of articles on the website.)

Synopsis: Hewlett-Packard gets notebook computers made in China and sells them in Europe: they ship from China to somewhere near Rotterdam by rail. Brief text and some photos: some still, some video clips. Photos include a Chinese diesel locomotive (of Russian design?), containers being transloaded at the China-Kazakhstan border from a Chinese (standard gauge) to a Kazakstani (Russian gauge) train, central Asiatic landscape from the cab of a moving locomotive and -- reason for posting this to the GE forum -- a short clip of a locomotive approaching an overbridge, shot at night so you really can't see much, but with a windscreen that makes me think it is one of the GEVO-powered six-axle AC units being build in Kazakhstan under license from GE.