Railroad Forums 

• trying to plan a trip to citizens bank park

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#41851  by sleepyleon

hi-

not sure where else to post this but i'm planning a trip from new york and am having trouble figuring a few things out. planning on stopping by the liberty bell, independence hall area (and possibly the reading market terminal as well?) during the day and heading over to citizens bank park for a game that night. so far, from what i've found, after visiting those spots, should i be getting on at the 5th street station on the market-frankford line, transferring onto the broad street line, and eventually arrive at pattison? also, because i'm going to be driving in, should i try to find to parking near the liberty bell, independence hall area, and take the subway to avoid the traffic to the ball park? how bad exactly is the traffic to the ballpark? or would finding a parking spot for the day near the city hall area be even worse? is there any parking available there?

sorry for bombarding you all with these questions, but thanks in advance!

#41866  by Clearfield

Better off parking at Fern Rock Terminal and taking the Broad Street line into Center City.
Xfer to the Market Frankford line eastbound at City Hall (15th st) to 5th.

Take it westbound back to 15th and xfer back to the Broad Street line south to Pattison.

Have fun!

#41873  by sleepyleon

thanks alot! just wondering...how long is the train ride from fern rock terminal into center city?

#41882  by Olton Hall

There is plenty of parking down by the ball park. However it take eternity to get out of the parking lots.
 #41939  by chuchubob

sleepyleon wrote:thanks alot! just wondering...how long is the train ride from fern rock terminal into center city?
25 minutes

#42112  by sleepyleon

how does parking at a garage somewhere in old city and going from there sound? i found a couple of sites online saying that all-day-parking rates are lower there?

again, thanks for all of your replies!

#42115  by AmtrakFan

Ballpark Parking takes for ever to get out so I would recommed taking Amtrak to Phildelphia Personally when are you going?

AmtrakFan

#42271  by jfrey40535

If you're coming from New York and won't be taking Amtrak, why not take I-95 to the Cornwells Heights exit in Bucks County, ride the Trenton Branch (R7) to Suburban Station, and then transfer to the Broad street line and ride that to the park.

From Center City, you'll be about 30min from your car.

#42292  by Bill R.

Going to Fern Rock makes no sense if your driving from New York. There are no major roadways that access the station. I-95 is well to the east, and you have to travel through the neighborhoods to get to Fern Rock from it.

My suggestion is to drive to the PATCO (NJ Turnpike to 7A, take I-195 west to I-295 south) Woodcrest station and go westbound from there. Better frequencies than SEPTA R7 @ Cornwells Heights, and possibly a cheaper fare. There is also a discounted fare for travel on SEPTA transit lines intersecting PATCO in Center City. Tickets are available from vending machines located inside the turnstiles of the PATCO stations. The tickets are good for one round trip.

Most of the CC destinations you talked about are withing walking distance of each other. Get off at 8th & Market for CC, do your touring, and then use the discount fare ticket at Walnut-Locust on the Broad Street Subway when you are ready to go to the stadium. Theoretically, you are supposed to use the outward-bound segment within one hour, and the return segment within 24 hours. SEPTA ticket booth personnel never bother to check, though, so I wouldn't be concerned.

#42345  by LAUNCHman

That one night in July the Phils game ended at 2:00 they did run a subway all the way up to fern rock but if you're going to do a park-and ride somewhere make sure its at either fern rock, old city, or patco NJ so you can be assured this late night service.

If you park along the R7 or R3 you have to be mindful of the last northbound train to leave Suburban Station ("City Hall", R7 and all other RR) or Fern Rock (R3).

If you're coming from NY you don't have to drive to PA at all. Park in one of NJT's stations to connect to the R7 or at Trenton where the R7 terminates.

Definitely take the subway from whereever you are sighteeing to the game it's $2.60 roundtrip if you buy tokens. Parking at the stadium is $15 and you sit in line on both ends. Broad Street traffic is also a nuisance on any given day.

The subway is a 2 block walk but only because it is at the old Vet site and you have to walk over to 11th street entrance of the new park. not a big deal though. Parking is at least 1 block too.

Enjoy yourself. go phillies.