Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA New Schedules September 29, 2019

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1520954  by rcthompson04

SEPTA is rolling out new schedules on September 29, 2019: https://www.septa.org/schedules/upcoming-rail.html

Some highlights from my perspective:
West Trenton line gets new Express and Local morning (inbound) and afternoon (outbound) trains. There is also a new afternoon local to Center City starting at Neshaminy Falls.

Wilmington-Newark service is adjusted due to end of Amtrak work. Trenton is updated in light of Amtrak work.

The 3420 that ran to Elwyn to Warminster has been replaced by an Elwyn to Neshaminy Falls train (340) and a University City to Warminster train (2420). This will hopefully eliminate some of the issues caused by 3420 running late and delaying the 4571 Paoli-Thorndale "6pm Great Valley Flyer". 2420 is running a sort of express run outbound. If they wanted to do an evening push pull train this might be a good one.

2555 (Bryn Mawr local) was moved up 2 minutes. Maybe this will eliminate some of the problems we have seen at Bryn Mawr when the 3 trains are in the general area while the 2555 is trying to reverse directions.
 #1520989  by NorthPennLimited

Hopefully they add extra cars to 513, 6595, and 515 to add more seats in the morning from Lansdale. Those trains are packed to the gills.

3596 and 6572 in the evening could also benefit from an extra car.

The mid day and weekend trains to Doylestown still lack competitive run times against driving to the city by automobile.
 #1521034  by Triplecap

Hi -- I've been reading for a while here but this is my first post. I ride 2555 once a week or so, and although SEPTA says there is a 2 minute change, the current schedule and the posted 9/29 schedule are exactly the same. I must be missing something.
 #1521047  by ExCon90

NorthPennLimited wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:56 pmThe mid day and weekend trains to Doylestown still lack competitive run times against driving to the city by automobile.
All I can think of to improve that would be to make every Doylestown train nonstop from Lansdale to Temple, which would require originating an additional train to run local from Lansdale every hour, immediately following the express. Whether that would attract enough additional riders to justify it I don't know. Since these additions would be mostly midday they might not require any additional equipment or crews. After things get finished up at Arsenal and Civic they might run through to University City.
 #1521080  by CNJGeep

NorthPennLimited wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:56 pm Hopefully they add extra cars to 513, 6595, and 515 to add more seats in the morning from Lansdale. Those trains are packed to the gills.

3596 and 6572 in the evening could also benefit from an extra car.

The mid day and weekend trains to Doylestown still lack competitive run times against driving to the city by automobile.
There is literally no space in Doylestown to store additional cars or equipment unless they put it on the Long Siding. 6572 cuts and turns for 6595. Six cars is about as good as it's going to get. They should make it an express from North Wales in, make 513 a local to Ft. Washington and express, and then add a new train to run local. That having been said, they don't have enough crews to run regular service so