Railroad Forums 

• Trolley diversion track usage

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1420203  by train2

I was looking at a detailed map of the diversion tracks used by Septa when the tunnel is closed. How specifically are cars routed when this track is in use? It appears there is the ability to loop back a several places. Do cars go from one route though to other numbered routes or do they go to the stop closets to the MF line and then circle back? At one point it appears as if two parallel tracks cross each other near Filbert St. Do the cars in fact cross each other when this diversion is in use?

I see diversion track north of Lancaster Ave. I am guessing that is the least used of it all as the 15 never needs to avoid the tunnel?

In a normal day when the tunnel is not closed, how often do cars use these tracks to run from car barns to their routes? Would you see this most often before and after rush hour?

Thanks for any help understanding this.
 #1420309  by redarrow5591

train2 wrote:I was looking at a detailed map of the diversion tracks used by Septa when the tunnel is closed. How specifically are cars routed when this track is in use? It appears there is the ability to loop back a several places. Do cars go from one route though to other numbered routes or do they go to the stop closets to the MF line and then circle back? At one point it appears as if two parallel tracks cross each other near Filbert St. Do the cars in fact cross each other when this diversion is in use?

I see diversion track north of Lancaster Ave. I am guessing that is the least used of it all as the 15 never needs to avoid the tunnel?

In a normal day when the tunnel is not closed, how often do cars use these tracks to run from car barns to their routes? Would you see this most often before and after rush hour?

Thanks for any help understanding this.
**Cracks Knuckles**

The Elmwood Routes takes that Left hand Switch at 40th and Filbert and loads at 40th and Market itself (inbound cars unload then take recovery on Filbert, leaving +3-5 minutes on the Portal Timepoint) while the Callowhill Route 10 makes that right switch from 40th to Filbert and takes its Recovery there. The straight route across both ways is used on a as needed basis, since some routine maintenance on both the Kawasakis and the PCC-II's cannot be done at Callowhill. The trackage north on Lancaster on 40th/41st was used at one time for the 15 when the overpass at Girard and Belmont was being replaced in the late 80's/early 90's; since then the trackage was used as both a maintenance bypass and emergency diversion for both routes.

If you want to see cars operate over that trackage, I would suggest weekends and befriending a operator or two. Shop cars to/from Callowhill from either Woodland Shops or Elmwood is heavily on a as needed basis and there is no true set timetable other than is there a qualified operator available. Unscheduled tunnel shutdowns is nothing short of complete chaos as Dispatchers, street supervisors, trolley operators and passengers themselves try to make sense of the situation; Preplanned, scheduled outages is alot easier to plan for. The general rule of thumb is all cars stay on the schedule timetable, with 40th and Market in lieu of the portal timepoint (36th Street and 40th Street Portals).