Railroad Forums 

• Strike - TWU - November 1st 2016

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1407312  by kiha40

Your post got me looking at http://septa.org/service/interruption/2016-guide.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; again.
All regular fares will apply. Passes offer the best value for your money and will make traveling easier. In the event of a service interruption, Weekly and Monthly TransPasses, including SEPTA Key Cards with current Pass product, will be valid, for travel, at all times, to all Regional Rail stations within the City of Philadelphia except Forest Hills and Somerton. These stations will require a Zone 3 fare - ticket or Pass
I thought the last time this happened, all passes (trail/trans, all zones) were good on all of the RR. Is there confidence that Suburban and Victory will definitely not join City division?
 #1407406  by AlexC

http://6abc.com/traffic/regional-rail-p ... s/1583230/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Many commuters had to find a backup plan after union SEPTA workers went on strike, shutting down most of the mass transit options inside Philadelphia.

One of the services still running was Regional Rail, which takes riders in and around the city. All of those extra commuters, however, made for crowded conditions Tuesday morning.

"It's crazy!" said Yvonne Lewis.
 #1407417  by zebrasepta

The strike is also disrupting Regional Rail
http://6abc.com/traffic/septa-picketers ... s/1577465/'" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SEPTA officials say picketers are causing service disruptions for the Regional Rail lines, one of the only services still operating amid a strike by union workers.

This statement was just released:

"Due to TWU strike-related pickets at Regional Rail facilities, SEPTA will have to cancel a significant number of trains during the evening rush hour. We are recommending passengers seek alternative modes of travel. SEPTA will post a full list of cancelled trains on http://www.septa.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and on Twitter.

The pickets are blocking access to some facilities where Regional Rail train crews report to work. SEPTA is seeking a court injunction that will allow Regional Rail employees to report to their assigned work locations.

Updates will be provided as soon as more information is available."
 #1407424  by AlexC

The old "strike ii" topic split into a new one for November 2016's strike. -AlexC
 #1407443  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

I remember the TWU placed picket lines at RRD stations during the 1998 Strike - I recall that SEPTA was able to get court injunctions outside of
Philadelphia - for example there were pickets at Lansdale one morning resulting in service problems on the Lansdale-Doylestown Line...

The big question is: Will SEPTA be able to get a Federal ruling to end the current Strike with a 60 day "cooling-off period" along with the
appointment of a Presidential Emergency Board to mediate this dispute?

MACTRAXX
 #1407532  by Gilbert B Norman

34thStreet wrote:Looks pretty imminent now. Guess I will have to get a Zone 3 weekly pass and slog it out on regional rail instead of my usual NHSL/MFL combo since only the NHSL is supposed to continue running.
I guess that the P&W still has their own Local, and I guess are not "in sympathy" with Michael J Quill's Brothers and Sisters.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1407534  by MichaelBug

The Norristown High-Speed Line employees are employed at the Victory District of SEPTA's Suburban Transit Division - the descendant of Red Arrow. They are covered by UTU Local 1594, whose own contract with SEPTA will expire in a couple of weeks. All of the SEPTA routes worked by UTU 1594 members (basically the NHSL, the Media & Sharon Hill trolleys, & bus Routes numbered from 103 to 123, 125, & 126) are still running - they operate mainly in the suburban counties, & some of these are now detoured to avoid entering the City of Philadelphia at all while TWU 234 is on strike.

(Link to WSJ picture, please?)
Last edited by MichaelBug on Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1407535  by Gilbert B Norman

Can't locate it, Mr. Bug; your posting was made right as I was editing mine :P :P

However, when I saw it in the print edition this morning, the caption mentioned Upper Darby.

Incidentally, many, many moons ago, I interviewed up at Ursinus College - and for that trip, I rode the P&W. Only other experience was a 1968 joyride on the Electroliner.
 #1407537  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Bug, the Wikipic is not of the cars shown at the WSJ photo. Unless, the PTC has an Upper Darby storage facility themselves, someone at The Journal incorrectly captioned a photo and subsequently withdrew it.
 #1407539  by MichaelBug

SEPTA's City Transit Division (former PTC) has always had a storage yard for the Market-Frankford Line fleet at 69th St. But, I would be more inclined to say that you may have seen a photo of either a SEPTA Kawasaki LRV or a SEPTA Regional Rail car. The news media here in Philadelphia often confuses the various types of SEPTA rolling stock in their stock photos & "B-roll" background video...
 #1407541  by BuddCar711

MichaelBug wrote:The Norristown High-Speed Line employees are employed at the Victory District of SEPTA's Suburban Transit Division - the descendant of Red Arrow. They are covered by UTU Local 1594, whose own contract with SEPTA will expire in a couple of weeks. All of the SEPTA routes worked by UTU 1594 members (basically the NHSL, the Media & Sharon Hill trolleys, & bus Routes numbered from 103 to 123, 125, & 126) are still running - they operate mainly in the suburban counties, & some of these are now detoured to avoid entering the City of Philadelphia at all while TWU 234 is on strike.
Which I don't understand, because if 1594 went out and 234 was still working, then wouldn't routes 11, 13, 21, and 42 terminate within the city and the Market-Frankford line terminate at 63rd Street?