Railroad Forums 

• Adios 615 & 622

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1344881  by ex Budd man

The two venerable cab units are slated for retirement. They will be replaced by two of the Comet cab cars which are currently being modified at Wayne car shop. It's not clear if they will be ready for gel season, but 615 & 622 are literally rusting away and not cost effective to maintain. The new control cars will be numbered 605 & 606.
 #1345075  by glennk419

ex Budd man wrote:The two venerable cab units are slated for retirement. They will be replaced by two of the Comet cab cars which are currently being modified at Wayne car shop. It's not clear if they will be ready for gel season, but 615 & 622 are literally rusting away and not cost effective to maintain. The new control cars will be numbered 605 & 606.
Maybe they can truck them up to Southampton and park them by the station. At least we know they'd get a paint job.

If they're truly off to razor blade land, I'd love the horn off of 615.
 #1345392  by ex Budd man

I'd love to see them rebuilt as locomotives. Send them to Brookville or rebuild them at WJ for push-pull trains. Wishful thinking but not too far fetched. ;-)
 #1345415  by MACTRAXX

Budd Man and Everyone:

I noticed this interesting news about SEPTA retiring former LIRR "power packs" 615 and 622 after 15 or so years
serving as SEPTA sandite units - hopefully these two veterans can find another home in preservation someplace.

These locomotives - which had their traction motors removed and their engine converted to produce 650 volt DC
power for former MP72 and MP75 MU cars which were then used in diesel hauled train service. Some have had
"sled generators" installed replacing their original prime movers...

615 - ALCO FA1 built in April 1949 for the SP&S - to BN in 1970 merger - to LIRR converted PP - March 1973.
622 - EMD F7 built in November 1950 - former B&O - to LIRR converted PP 1982.

Both of these units were retired in 1999-2000 when the older LIRR Diesel car fleet was replaced.

As we notice these two units have had a very long life for their respective owners - and may it continue on...

See: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/lirrFA/lirrFA.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MACTRAXX
 #1345422  by trainspot

Could anyone on here furnish (by p/m) a contact person at SEPTA regarding these? Thanks.
 #1345569  by ex Budd man

They really are in a sad state of repair. The gel equipment has been removed, leaving an empty shell. Septa is notorious for not being interested in saving historical equipment. So it is up to the rail fan community, if anyone is interested, to step up and find a way to preserve these two units.
 #1345610  by RCman2626

ex Budd man wrote:They really are in a sad state of repair. The gel equipment has been removed, leaving an empty shell. Septa is notorious for not being interested in saving historical equipment. So it is up to the rail fan community, if anyone is interested, to step up and find a way to preserve these two units.
This is an understatement. Last time I ran them it felt like they literally were going to fall apart. You need a tetanus shot after climbing on them because of all of the rusted through body panels. I'm hoping the West Chester RR will get the ALCO unit to use for parts to keep their ALCOs going. Specifically the trucks.
 #1345641  by R36 Combine Coach

MACTRAXX wrote:I noticed this interesting news about SEPTA retiring former LIRR "power packs" 615 and 622 after 15 or so years
serving as SEPTA sandite units - hopefully these two veterans can find another home in preservation someplace.
I feel Riverhead might be a fitting home for one or both.
 #1345664  by glennk419

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:I noticed this interesting news about SEPTA retiring former LIRR "power packs" 615 and 622 after 15 or so years
I feel Riverhead might be a fitting home for one or both.
Given that point in their heritage, that's not a bad suggestion. I'm guessing that they are still roadworthy enough to roll on their own wheels?

All I know is that for the last several leaf seasons, the sight of an (albeit unpowered) ALCO rolling through Roslyn was a total rush!!
 #1352047  by NorthPennLimited

Didn't Amtrak ban the Comet cars when SEPTA acquired them? Their direct release system didn't work when pulled from an AEM-7

Will they be banned gel train service on Amtrak as well?
 #1352346  by zebrasepta

NorthPennLimited wrote:Didn't Amtrak ban the Comet cars when SEPTA acquired them? Their direct release system didn't work when pulled from an AEM-7

Will they be banned gel train service on Amtrak as well?
I thought they were banned because of the braking system and I heard it can be modified to fit Amtrak's standards but I don't know if SEPTA needs to modify them for use on AMTRAK territory
 #1352379  by Limited-Clear

The weren't banned, they were still allowed on Amtrak with no passengers
 #1352503  by ex Budd man

The PS-1 control valve on the Comet cars is based on the ABD valve which has no provision for graduated release. To retrofit the cars with a 26 style control valve would cost more than Septa paid for them. Using the cab cars for wire train/gel train service makes it a moot point.
 #1352963  by ex Budd man

The two new control cars for the gel trains have been outshopped and have replaced the old F and FA control cars. The crews are becoming familarized with them now. I'll post pics when i can.
 #1352981  by glennk419

ex Budd man wrote:The two new control cars for the gel trains have been outshopped and have replaced the old F and FA control cars. The crews are becoming familarized with them now. I'll post pics when i can.
Any idea when the gel trains will start running?