Railroad Forums 

• The Station Formerly Known as Margaret-Orthodox

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1298963  by ExCon90

A friend of mine has noted that Margaret-Orthodox has been changed to Arrott St. Transportation Center. The car he was in already had a new map showing the change, which apparently was made because the 59, 75, and K already show Arrott St. as a destination and it was felt this would reduce any possible confusion. Apparently this was not paid for by anyone, just a pro bono move by SEPTA. Map collectors are going to have to scramble to keep up.
 #1299063  by SCB2525

I actually welcome this, as it is confusing to have two different names for what is effectively one station. One would think Arrott Transportation Center had nothing to do with Margaret Orthodox when in reality, the former is just the feeder terminal right beneath the latter. They could have went back to PTC's "Margaret-Orthodox-Arrott" but really, that's a bit long winded.

I don't mind the use of "Transportation Center" either, as long as its a major multi-modal hub with several routes, which Arrott is. I would prefer the moniker "Terminal" be officially used however for 69th St and Frankford, since ALL modes' routes terminate there and none just stop there.

Honestly, how can one complain about selling naming rights to a station because of spatial confusion (which I agree with) and then complain about a non-commercialized naming change to assist in eliminating spatial confusion? They should honestly root some more of these out system-wide such as possibly renaming West Trenton "Ewing" (Good God how many people I've seen on the wrong Trenton)

What I DO hate is the "change for the sake of change" that occurred in 2010 with such changes as Route 100 to Norristown High Speed Line (and changing half the stations to their adjoining streets, but NOT the Paoli-Thorndale duplicates) and elimination of the R's. These were steps in the wrong direction.
 #1299344  by ekt8750

BuddCar711 wrote:Time for a pool. Guess which station will be renamed will win $100.00 in Gallifreyean money. My pick; Olney station will be renamed Einstein station.
I thought Gallifrey used the Credit system.

My bet goes to University City becoming University of Pennsylvania Station. Oh the irony there.
 #1300173  by R3 Passenger

ekt8750 wrote:My bet goes to University City becoming University of Pennsylvania Station. Oh the irony there.
Why should U. Penn pay for something that Temple and Del Val get for free?
 #1300178  by jackintosh11

R3 Passenger wrote:
ekt8750 wrote:My bet goes to University City becoming University of Pennsylvania Station. Oh the irony there.
Temple station is in the Templetown neighborhood and the university is a good landmark for people to know where they are, and Del Val is a small station that is within Del Val college, and the station has been named after the school for a long time. University City works fine for letting people know where they are.
 #1300217  by scotty269

jackintosh11 wrote:
R3 Passenger wrote:
Temple station is in the Templetown neighborhood and the university is a good landmark for people to know where they are, and Del Val is a small station that is within Del Val college, and the station has been named after the school for a long time. University City works fine for letting people know where they are.
TempleTown is not a real neighborhood name.
 #1379692  by wanderer34

I've always felt that AT&T Station was the most confusing name ever for a station, since there's no such thing AT&T Ave anywhere i Philly, but we do have a Pattison Ave, the former name of the station. I believe that I don't have anything against using corporate names and logos on the stations, but the fact is this: AT&T should still be called Pattison Ave Station with the AT&T logo next to it. Jefferson Station should still be called Market East Station with the Jefferson logo. And I still miss Bridge-Pratt St (Frankford Terminal) and if this is official, and while Arrott St is a real street in Frankford, I still feel the station should be called Margaret-Orthodox (Arrott Terminal), since that was the original name of the station in the first place!!!
 #1382112  by Blackstreet

I always call that station Margaret-Orthodox. I like that name SSSOOOOOO much better. Margaret-Orthodox sounds so much prettier. Arrott sounds so stupid. The station was appropriately called Margaret-Orthodox because the El's station is situated above Margaret Street and Orthodox Street. Arrott? Really, Septa?