Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA NPT card will be "SEPTA Key"?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1274127  by loufah

The state of Maryland already uses something called an Independence Card. I suggest we make a trade: SEPTA gets to use the term Independence Card, and Maryland can have a (Francis Scott) Key Card.
 #1274195  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: What about the name "LIBERTY CARD" if the "Indepencence" name cannot be used?

I do like Loufah's idea for a name "trade" if it can be negotiated reasonably...

I also think that SEPTA could save costs by using a form of PATCO's established "Freedom Card" and expanding its use...

MACTRAXX
 #1291903  by Clearfield

Apple formally announced the iPhone 6 today, and it does include NFC (Near Field Communication) technology just like all of its competitors. SEPTA was banking on this to happen so that as more of the riders carry smartphones, it makes most other fare media obsolete SO LONG AS the rider CHOOSES to register their phone with SEPTA.

That means when NPT rolls out, iPhone 6's can be used as fare media.

OR

That means when NPT rolls out, iPhone 7's can be used as fare media...... :-)
 #1291997  by trackwelder

it also means you can give yet ANOTHER third party access to your little do everything device!
 #1292008  by Clearfield

trackwelder wrote:it also means you can give yet ANOTHER third party access to your little do everything device!
I can't speak for you, but I'm from an earlier generation (The Leave it to Beaver generation). Privacy means more to me than it seems to mean for the younger generations.

I've already come to the realization and accepted that living a normal life today means surrendering all privacy with the possible exception of your sex life. And if you manage to piss someone off sufficiently, that goes online as well.

The privacy genie, like the right to bear arms genie is out of the bottle. The difference is there is no constitutional right of privacy. There's no way to put it back in the bottle unless you want to live in a cave and be a hermit.
 #1292015  by bikentransit

Nobody forces anyone to give up your privacy. If you choose to hand over your phone to SEPTA, it's your choice. I have an iPhone 5 anyway, so this means nothing to me. I won't be able to use my phone to ride. That means buying a dumb card.
 #1292057  by Clearfield

bikentransit wrote:Nobody forces anyone to give up your privacy. If you choose to hand over your phone to SEPTA, it's your choice. I have an iPhone 5 anyway, so this means nothing to me. I won't be able to use my phone to ride. That means buying a dumb card.
The 'dumb' card is great to make sure that no one is tracking your movements. Good idea!

Oh.

I forgot.

EVERY turnstile and EVERY vehicle whether running on rubber or rails will have surveillance cameras catching your face. Better wear a disguise.
 #1292065  by nomis

I claim this disguise whenever I return to Philly ... :P :-) :wink:

#1292073  by Clearfield

nomis wrote:I claim this disguise whenever I return to Philly ... :P :-) :wink:

Which one are you?
 #1292186  by Clearfield

Jersey_Mike wrote:Surprised SEPTA didn't just sell the naming rights to its farecard as well.
What if they call it "MikeKey"? :-)
 #1292392  by trackwelder

Clearfield wrote:
I can't speak for you, but I'm from an earlier generation (The Leave it to Beaver generation). Privacy means more to me than it seems to mean for the younger generations.

privacy means a lot to me, too. i'm 31, but people tell me i'm 95. no smart phone, bills get paid with a check in the mail, buy things at the store instead of the interwebs. bit of a luddite, i am.
 #1292543  by ExCon90

As long as you have a rotary-dial phone and use a fountain pen, you're OK. A friend of mine used to say it was a better world when we all used carbon paper.