Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA NPT card will be "SEPTA Key"?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1271772  by SCB2525

A couple of other philly transit and planning sites are saying that through found art and trademarks that smart money is on SEPTA naming the NPT card "Key". A pretty lame, generic name. I honestly think they should parlay the "Independence Pass" name to the NPT card; it perfectly conveys the purpose of NPT in a marketing sense and also gives a nod to Philadelphia itself.

#1271795  by sammy2009

I found this a month ago and discussed it on facebook and it's true it is supposedly planned. But i remember the site containing the graphic said the expiration date was sometime last month. I dont know if that meant SEPTA had time to finalize it or what. But im waiting patiently. Also last night on one of the other philly transit sites someone said they seen SENIOR swipe their I.D. on the bus with the upgraded fare box and it beeped and the screen rung up SENIOR ....SO its safe to say somewhere out here NPT is coming along.
 #1271900  by Tritransit Area

In the spirit of Independence and FREEDOM I would've loved to see these cards called "Liberty Cards", though with SEPTA pushing those pass limits, I guess it wouldn't live up to its name.
 #1271990  by AlexC

SCB2525 wrote:Also a good one. Being a transit agency in Philly lends itself to so many good names that "Key" is just lazy as all get out.
What if it includes a Ben Franklin tie-in? (leaving aside the incredibly dangerous kite the key was attached to)
 #1272035  by deathtopumpkins

I would like the key name if it were for something statewide. I like the idea of a "key to the keystone state". But for SEPTA there are definitely better names out there. And maybe this is just rumors.
 #1272044  by scotty269

deathtopumpkins wrote:I would like the key name if it were for something statewide. I like the idea of a "key to the keystone state". But for SEPTA there are definitely better names out there. And maybe this is just rumors.
Except SEPTA barely serves outside of the Philadlephia Metro area :-D
 #1272048  by dcipjr

SEPTA has been touting their social media awareness and apps. This would have been a good opportunity for them to come up with a few names (or take suggestions) and have a vote.
 #1272061  by nomis

http://www.ringtheory.com/ ... for when you feel like fist bumping your way onto the subway :-)

(and before scotty makes a comment, no i don't have one for up here in boston)
 #1272064  by deathtopumpkins

scotty269 wrote:
deathtopumpkins wrote:I would like the key name if it were for something statewide. I like the idea of a "key to the keystone state". But for SEPTA there are definitely better names out there. And maybe this is just rumors.
Except SEPTA barely serves outside of the Philadlephia Metro area :-D
Which is why I said if it were statewide. ;)
 #1272076  by Clearfield

dcipjr wrote:SEPTA has been touting their social media awareness and apps. This would have been a good opportunity for them to come up with a few names (or take suggestions) and have a vote.
Why get a name for free when you can pay a consulting company like Red Tettemer to come up with something so unimaginative?
 #1272149  by 25Hz

The key to lowering rider numbers?
 #1273553  by radioboy

I think it's funny that there are a few suggestions in this thread that Key is unimaginative, but in the same breath suggest we should use Liberty/Independence/Freedom, which are way more over used for everything in this city.
 #1273631  by SCB2525

Perhaps so but why buck the system and not use these terms which have been permanently bonded to Philadelphia's image? "Independence" and "Freedom" as I had said are particularly suited to a mass transit fare card as it identifies it as specific to Philly metro and conveys the sense that using SEPTA will provide "Independence" to the user or "Freedom" of movement throughout.

"Key" is so bland you may as well just call it the "SEPTA Payment Card" or "Fare Card".