Railroad Forums 

• Why so many trains stopping at Wayne and North Broad

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1268920  by R5Dailyrider

I ride the Lansdale/Doylestown line along with the Warminster on occasion. Curious why so many trains are now stopping at both Wayne and No. Broad when there are so few passengers.

Also, the station project at Wayne cost $5-$10,000,000 seems like a tremendous expenditure versus ridership?

Was this a political " plum" given to a state politico for their "district".
 #1268931  by Tritransit Area

Are the numbers really that low? Wayne Junction has over 500 boardings and alightings a day and even North Broad has over 100. However, unlike other stations, a lot of the ridership is for reverse commuters heading to destinations like Warminster and Fort Washington as well as those who work at the Airport. Additionally, the ridership tends to spread out throughout the day among the different lines, which is probably why the ridership seems so light.

My source: http://www.septa.org/reports/pdf/asp15-proposed.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wayne Junction is part of a Transit Oriented Development project; they are hoping to vastly improve this area, starting with the train station, while making it a "transit center". There's already a new commercial development that was built across the street, perhaps in anticipation of this station being more appealing. There are also a transit connections (such as the 23, 53, 75) that allow city residents who live in the general area to easily access trains without having to go all the way into Center City or all the way up to Fern Rock.
 #1268974  by NorthPennLimited

WOW.

North Broad has over 100 boardings per day!!!!

Let's say SEPTA runs 600 trains per day, 300 of them run on the north side, 100 of them stop at North Broad Station.

That means 1% of the riders on one-sixth of the trains use that station.

I vote SHUT IT DOWN. Let the kids from the suburbs use another station, or walk a few extra blocks to get their meth and heroin.

I didn't get a degree from the Wharton business school, but I'd say the cost-benefit doesn't support maintaining that station. PLUS the bus and subway serve the same intersection at that station.
 #1268977  by scotty269

NorthPennLimited wrote:
I vote SHUT IT DOWN. Let the kids from the suburbs use another station, or walk a few extra blocks to get their meth and heroin.

I didn't get a degree from the Wharton business school, but I'd say the cost-benefit doesn't support maintaining that station. PLUS the bus and subway serve the same intersection at that station.

/thread
 #1269003  by Tritransit Area

NorthPennLimited wrote:WOW.

North Broad has over 100 boardings per day!!!!

Let's say SEPTA runs 600 trains per day, 300 of them run on the north side, 100 of them stop at North Broad Station.

That means 1% of the riders on one-sixth of the trains use that station.

Of course, during strike season, North Broad gets a heck of a lot busier when the bus and subway do not run. Besides shutting it down would really hurt accessibility for people who live near the railroad to get to jobs in Conshohocken, Fort Washington, and other suburban job centers. North Broad is also a good transfer location between the Main Line and Northeast Corridor.
 #1269350  by Suburban Station

Tritransit Area wrote:Are the numbers really that low? Wayne Junction has over 500 boardings and alightings a day and even North Broad has over 100. However, unlike other stations, a lot of the ridership is for reverse commuters heading to destinations like Warminster and Fort Washington as well as those who work at the Airport. Additionally, the ridership tends to spread out throughout the day among the different lines, which is probably why the ridership seems so light.

My source: http://www.septa.org/reports/pdf/asp15-proposed.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wayne Junction is part of a Transit Oriented Development project; they are hoping to vastly improve this area, starting with the train station, while making it a "transit center". There's already a new commercial development that was built across the street, perhaps in anticipation of this station being more appealing. There are also a transit connections (such as the 23, 53, 75) that allow city residents who live in the general area to easily access trains without having to go all the way into Center City or all the way up to Fern Rock.
when they first started the wayne jct renovation SEPTA indicated it would extend the 2 and 33 buses to wayne jct (most importantly, the very busy 33 bus_. is that still the case? that would go a long way to making this station more useful. the only thing I don't get about this renovation is why they didn't put windows in the old building but instead built odd bus shelters on the platform.
north broad, north philly, and the bsl is probably the city's greatest untapped asset. nowhere else outside of cc do you have every regional rail line, amtrak, and the subway. for me today it makes more sense than fern rock (except SEPTA upgraded the station at some point in the past, removing the island platforms and replacing them with low level side platforms) except so few trains stop there. on sunday there are three trains an hour between jenkintown and center city, only one stops at north broad. it's a great way to get to manayunk or conshohocken, except if you miss the train, it's a one hour wait. (used to be the doylestown line would stop there, but some runs would be skipped so it would be TWO HOURS before the next train)
 #1269465  by Tritransit Area

Suburban Station wrote:
Tritransit Area wrote:Are the numbers really that low? Wayne Junction has over 500 boardings and alightings a day and even North Broad has over 100. However, unlike other stations, a lot of the ridership is for reverse commuters heading to destinations like Warminster and Fort Washington as well as those who work at the Airport. Additionally, the ridership tends to spread out throughout the day among the different lines, which is probably why the ridership seems so light.

when they first started the wayne jct renovation SEPTA indicated it would extend the 2 and 33 buses to wayne jct (most importantly, the very busy 33 bus_. is that still the case? that would go a long way to making this station more useful. the only thing I don't get about this renovation is why they didn't put windows in the old building but instead built odd bus shelters on the platform.
north broad, north philly, and the bsl is probably the city's greatest untapped asset. nowhere else outside of cc do you have every regional rail line, amtrak, and the subway. for me today it makes more sense than fern rock (except SEPTA upgraded the station at some point in the past, removing the island platforms and replacing them with low level side platforms) except so few trains stop there. on sunday there are three trains an hour between jenkintown and center city, only one stops at north broad. it's a great way to get to manayunk or conshohocken, except if you miss the train, it's a one hour wait. (used to be the doylestown line would stop there, but some runs would be skipped so it would be TWO HOURS before the next train)
Regarding the 2 and 33 - is that still the case? I agree, having those two routes serve this station would make it much more useful and would make the 2 a stronger route. One complaint I've heard about North Broad is that trains to/from the Airport won't stop there. Why is this the case? Is there a technical reason as to why trains to the Airport can't stop at North Broad?
 #1269469  by Suburban Station

Tritransit Area wrote: Regarding the 2 and 33 - is that still the case? I agree, having those two routes serve this station would make it much more useful and would make the 2 a stronger route. One complaint I've heard about North Broad is that trains to/from the Airport won't stop there. Why is this the case? Is there a technical reason as to why trains to the Airport can't stop at North Broad?
I don't know the answer to the bus question, I certainly hope so given how much they're spending on the station.
due to the configuration of the interlocking plant combined with septa's elimination of island platforms at north broad only certain trains can stop. you will notice that chestnut hill east and fox chase trains do not stop there despite the fact it would make sense. (and some of those are airport trains). I'm curious if the work at wayne junction will change any of this
 #1269704  by 25Hz

There comes a time when you need to realize that SEPTA's actions rarely make sense. This is an example.

I don't know the area enough to say, but bypassing a station or closing it is stupid if the train serves the airport.
 #1269796  by Push&Pull Master

25Hz wrote:There comes a time when you need to realize that SEPTA's actions rarely make sense. This is an example.

I don't know the area enough to say, but bypassing a station or closing it is stupid if the train serves the airport.
Bypassing or closing a station served by an Airport train isn't stupid if the station has Angora like ridership. Temple University station is not that far away and I doubt that many people would get on at North Broad to get to the Airport. But in my opinion, North Broad should be served by the shorter lines, like CHE, Fox Chase, Warminster, and Norristown as a bonus for reverse commuters going farther out.
 #1269833  by Limited-Clear

I know this won't be liked, but for the ridership North Broad has I believe they have it right, they have access to all available branches, Norristown stops, and Lansdale/Doylestown (with a few extra/rush hour glensides thrown in) give access to all other places with a minimal change, going the other way they have the Norristown and doylestowns that can bring them in, or a short walk to N phila for Trenton or CHW trains, oh and the BSS I easy reach
 #1269835  by Suburban Station

Push/Pull Master wrote:
25Hz wrote:There comes a time when you need to realize that SEPTA's actions rarely make sense. This is an example.

Bypassing or closing a station served by an Airport train isn't stupid if the station has Angora like ridership. Temple University station is not that far away and I doubt that many people would get on at North Broad to get to the Airport. But in my opinion, North Broad should be served by the shorter lines, like CHE, Fox Chase, Warminster, and Norristown as a bonus for reverse commuters going farther out.
north broad isn't angora (which would make sense to walk away from). temple university isn't really relevant since it's not on the subway, you're talking about going to fern rock or cc instead. I think the obvious next steps is to get the shorter lines to stop there (fox chase doesn't go to fern rock so this would be it's first transfer point, same for che). the problem is septa ripped out the islands but never reworked in the interlocking plant. the infrastructure in this area is just too good to walk away from.
 #1269858  by Suburban Station

SCB2525 wrote:Why did they rip the islands out? Was it worth the expense?

Does anyone have any pictures of the old platforms?
1921, interesting, not an island platform, but much nicer than what is there today
The 1929 station featured two island platforms which served all four tracks, connected by an underground walkway to the station, street, and the Broad Street Subway's North Philadelphia Station. All of these platforms and passages were removed or backfilled in 1992 as part of SEPTA's RailWorks bridge replacement project, in order to increase train speeds and to rationalize the platform area
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Broad_(SEPTA_station" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

today