Railroad Forums 

• Building Train Consists in the Morning

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1206852  by rslitman

On Thursday, August 8, I rode train 394 from Center City to a station on the West Trenton line. This was a two-car train, with the two cars being married pair 175-176. The next morning, train 328 contained its usual four cars, with 175-176 in the lead. They no doubt went back to Elwyn as 395 (the only train from West Trenton after 394's scheduled arrival time).

On Wednesday, August 14, I rode train 392 from University City to Jenkintown. (Wouldn't you know it, when I drove to Jenkintown to get a chance at more trains, I ended up on a West Trenton train in both directions, with 369 being my earlier one!) This was a five-car train, with married pair 161-162 in the lead. The next morning, 328 contained its usual four cars, with 161-162 as the last two. 161-162 probably went back to Elwyn as 393.

I wonder if, at least on Tuesdays through Fridays, 328 is always put together with the only two cars from the previous night's 394/395 in the lead and the first two cars from 392 (which may have been part of a shorter consist going back as 393) in the rear. This may also explain why we almost never get Vs on 328. Since this consist is built with cars that came in on different trains, the other trains are probably always IVs so that they can fit together on a different train.

One flaw in my reasoning is that new schedules went into effect between the two sets of observations.
 #1207167  by Matthew Mitchell

You are correct. The consist that becomes 328 starts its day at Media yard, where the previous night it is scheduled to be made up out of the two cars from 395 and two of the five cars from 393. Obviously plans have to be changed some days, but that's what is scheduled.

I can't tell you whether or not that requires the train to be made up out of IVs, but you have to make sure the 393 and 395 consists are the same type of car and 393 is not set up in a way where you can't take two cars off the north end (i.e. not a single then a pair). Anyone know how many IVs and how many Vs overnight in Media the typical night?
 #1207374  by Limited-Clear

There aren't any trains that must be Vs or IVs, any MUs can be used on any trains it's just a matter of if there are cuts and add ons they have to be the same type of equipment, that is why you sometimes get in to Suburban and a seemingly good train ends up going in the yard and you get a train of different MUs, even when it is the same type of equipment it might be to put single cars in the right place.

The exception to the above are the cars with the Delaware stickers they are usually found on Newark trains (although one made it to Trenton)
 #1207755  by Limited-Clear

It is a decal by the entrance doors, I believe there was a picture posted a while ago here but can not find it right now, the single car is one of the high numbered 7XX, there is also a high numbered married pair with them 87X and associated mate