SEPTA NPT card will be "SEPTA Key"?

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

JeffK
Posts: 1642
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:05 pm
Location: Western suburbs

Re: SEPTA NPT card will be "SEPTA Key"?

Post by JeffK » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:44 pm

Those are the fees for lost cards, but I still can't get any information about replacing expired cards. Also in a rational world there shouldn't be a charge for replacing a card with a bad chip since that's a defect rather than a loss. But this is SEPTA, of course.

I assume a different technology is used but this doesn't seem to be a problem with DC's SmarTrip cards. Among other things the plastic is much more substantial which should reduce stress breakage. It's anecdotal, but family members who live there have been using the same Metro card for years. They said they've heard of problems but they were generally software- or account-related, not a problem with the cards themselves.
Requiem for it's/its, your/you're, than/then, less/fewer. They were once such nice words with such different meanings...

MACTRAXX
Posts: 4224
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:55 am
Location: Islandia,Long Island,NY

Re: SEPTA NPT card will be "SEPTA Key"?

Post by MACTRAXX » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:38 pm

Ryan: Thank you for the information on the $3.75 intermediate fare being charged to riders going past
their zone the same as legacy pass holders are charged. With the Key will Zone 3 pass riders have the
same Anywhere privileges off-peak on weekdays? Will Zone 1 passes be valid at any station within the
City of Philadelphia off peak weekdays instead of having to get a Zone 2 or 3 pass?

If SEPTA were to charge either the Zone NJ $9.25 or $10 fare for riders that fail to tap in or out that use
either the Trenton or West Trenton Line there would likely be many complaints. The $3.75 intermediate
fare not only makes more sense - it is a fair way to collect any kind of penalty since it would be the same
as the current extension of ride charge - a flat extra fee.

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS

MichaelBug
Posts: 211
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:34 am
Location: Collegeville, PA

Re: SEPTA NPT card will be "SEPTA Key"?

Post by MichaelBug » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:32 pm

How would the $3.75 extension of journey extra fare be charged, if the passenger has a valid TrailPass loaded on his/her Key Card, but has insufficient funds in the Travel Wallet?

ryan92084
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:52 am

Re: SEPTA NPT card will be "SEPTA Key"?

Post by ryan92084 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:11 am

JeffK wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:44 pm
Those are the fees for lost cards, but I still can't get any information about replacing expired cards . Also in a rational world there shouldn't be a charge for replacing a card with a bad chip since that's a defect rather than a loss. But this is SEPTA, of course.
snip...
At least for standard key expired cards are treated the same as lost/damaged http://www.septa.org/key/register.html but seniors are special so I guess we'll find out whenever they start getting the renewal extension letters. Right or wrong chips going bad are considered user error. I agree on the plastic seeming to be poor with the build quality being more akin to a giftcard/ one of the more flexible credit cards than a license. According to the site there are supposed to be Personalized versions at some point but beyond what is on the site( just being a dark blue with your name on it) I don't have any other information on build quality.
MACTRAXX wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:38 pm
Ryan: Thank you for the information on the $3.75 intermediate fare being charged to riders going past
their zone the same as legacy pass holders are charged. With the Key will Zone 3 pass riders have the
same Anywhere privileges off-peak on weekdays? Will Zone 1 passes be valid at any station within the
City of Philadelphia off peak weekdays instead of having to get a Zone 2 or 3 pass?
snip...
Besides the # of ride limitations and transpasses no longer "temporarily" working to the airport afaik all the special rules are the same.
MichaelBug wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:32 pm
How would the $3.75 extension of journey extra fare be charged, if the passenger has a valid TrailPass loaded on his/her Key Card, but has insufficient funds in the Travel Wallet?
The card should go to a negative balance which would lock the card from being reloaded with any pass until rectified. Since tapping on/off hasn't done anything until now I don't know if a current valid monthly key with a negative balance has any other repercussions

rcthompson04
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:32 am

Re: SEPTA NPT card will be "SEPTA Key"?

Post by rcthompson04 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:47 am

Suburban Tap/Swipe Out starts February 5, 2020:

http://septa.org/key/updates/tap-to-exit-suburban.html
Starting Wednesday, February 5, 2020, all customers with SEPTA Key Cards and legacy Passes must Tap or Swipe to EXIT when using the designated turnstiles in Section B at Suburban Station. This fare procedure will be in effect Monday-Friday 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.

Floor decals will identify the turnstiles set for Tap/Swipe to EXIT.

TAP to EXIT applies to all Key Cards including Senior Citizen as well as Quick Trips for customers traveling from the Airport towards Center City.

Customers with paper Passes can swipe at any turnstile to exit. Riders with paper tickets and cash fare receipts must exit at the turnstiles with a SEPTA Key Ambassador.

Return to “SEPTA (and PATCO)”