Railroad Forums 

• NCS to Broad Street Station ("Newark Light Rail")

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1417555  by kilroy

Lower Boonton was abandoned due to repair and maintenance costs of the swing bridge. No desire or money to fix it for light rail.
 #1419413  by jamesinclair

I had no idea this was a thing
One of the long-standing complaints of light rail riders, lack of a place to sit, is being alleviated as longer five-car trains with a new extended car are starting to enter service.

The extended car is being added to the center of 10 Newark Light Rail-City Subway trains and 25 Hudson-Bergen Light Rail trains as part of a $54 million project, with 80 percent of that coming from the federal clean air and congestion management funds.

NJ Transit Executive Director Stephen Santoro rode one of the trains and toured the Newark Light Rail-City Subway maintenance shop on Thursday to thank workers who've been assembling trains with the extended sections. The extended sections increase seating capacity by 50 percent, from 68 seats to 102 seats, he said.
Pictures and more article:
http://linkis.com/s.nj.com/Wx1Yo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1420507  by SemperFidelis

I think it was Dallas that lead the way on this concept, adding what they called C-Sections to thier articulated light rail cars. Whoever came up with this idea deserves a raise. Hopefully the larger cars will become a standard order item for light rail lines that are expected to see high passenger counts.
 #1499774  by ryanov

I live right above the Military Park station (you might recognize the tilework in my avatar if you've ever been there), so I've got a lot of experience with the subway. Really, the frequency is perfectly adequate on the main line during weekdays, except for toward the very end of the evening. The weekend schedule is inadequate, at least in part because they typically run the Sunday schedule all weekend, for reasons they don't seem to explain. Lately, they cancel departures on the weekends due to "operator availability." That's the Sunday schedule and they can't operate it.

The Broad Street line, on the other hand, doesn't have sufficient frequency to make it useful at any time. If a departure happens to work for when you happen to be traveling, it's a good option. Apart from that? Useless. And it's a shame too, as it was expensive. To give you an idea, the best headway all day/all week is 10 minutes, and there is only one of those: 4:29 and 4:39 PM from Penn Station on weekdays. There isn't a single other headway that is as good as 10 minutes.