Railroad Forums 

• Anderson St. Station

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#962429  by railedprograms

Are there any plans to rebuild the station after the fire a few years ago?
 #962545  by Roadgeek Adam

Negative. As a bonus, the station was removed from the National Register of Historic Places (the first of the original 52 and the first in Bergen County history) on May 18, 2011. Ampere Station and Upper Montclair have both been lost but are still on the register.

The plans a few years ago, after the January 9, 2009 fire to not replace it. I haven't heard different since.
 #962764  by R36 Combine Coach

Roadgeek Adam wrote:Ampere Station and Upper Montclair have both been lost but are still on the register.
Upper Montclair was completely rebuilt and the platforms at Ampere remain.
 #962784  by Roadgeek Adam

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:Ampere Station and Upper Montclair have both been lost but are still on the register.
Platforms aren't really historical, unless they are the 1907 pavement and I totally disagree with the decision by Montclair to keep Upper Montclair on the register.
 #962818  by sullivan1985

R36 Combine Coach wrote:

The new Upper Montclair station looks nothing like the original. Its nice, but not a replica.
 #962826  by Roadgeek Adam

sullivan1985 wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:

The new Upper Montclair station looks nothing like the original. Its nice, but not a replica.
The only thing close to the original station, besides the original porte-cochere, is the fact that the roof still boasts the shingles and maroon strips along the roof. Otherwise, I agree it looks nothing like the 1892 depot.

Central Valley up in New York is similar, but still the original depot (adjusted) still has its Erie-Lackawanna shingles and maroon roof covering.
 #963067  by Port Jervis

railedprograms wrote:Are there any plans to rebuild the station after the fire a few years ago?
The spot has been paved over and the foundation of the old building was filled in beforehand. I would not be surprised to see Anderson St slowly starved of service and then closed in the near future.
 #963073  by waldwickrailfan

i agree with Port Jervis. not many people went to Anderson st. after the fire. many of them went to either Essex st. or New Bridge. i would not be surprised if anderson st and teterboro would get closed in the near future.
 #963077  by Roadgeek Adam

Proof of ridership decline? It went up in 2008 and 2009 from 309 to 347 then fell back last year (like most of every stations) to 320, 5th highest on the entire PVL (behind North Hackensack, River Edge, Westwood and Hillsdale). Even after the fire, ridership is still above Essex Street. By numbers alone Essex Street could be closed before Anderson Street, since Essex Street doesn't even get 300 people now. Also, Anderson Street is right in downtown Hackensack, which is the reason its predecessor Passaic Street station was built in 1861. Its not going to change. You shut the downtown station down, Hackensack will plummet.
 #963168  by Hawaiitiki

I suppose Anderson Street is as "downtown" as you can get on the PVL in Hackensack, albeit over a half mile North and West of what I would consider the core of Hackensack. I'd even venture to say Essex Street is almost nearly as "downtown" as Anderson Street, and is certainly closer to the BC Courthouse. I will admit however that its a whole lot sketchier walking from Essex Street to Main Street than Anderson to Main Street. The only railway that actually truly traverses downtown Hackensack is "a freight railroad that shall not be named" at the fear of starting a conversation about Route 23.
 #963175  by Sirsonic

So, because the station building burned down, you really think that would be enough reason to reduce service to one of the busier PVL stations, enough to justify the closure of the station? By that logic Upper Montclair should be history by now...
 #963193  by Roadgeek Adam

Sirsonic wrote:So, because the station building burned down, you really think that would be enough reason to reduce service to one of the busier PVL stations, enough to justify the closure of the station? By that logic Upper Montclair should be history by now...
On those criteria, Essex Street should've been history decades ago, the Hackensack (as Essex Street was then known) depot burned down in 1970.
 #1070752  by swapcatsr

NOTHJERSEY.COM

Hackensack train station's building will be rebuilt

Friday, May 11, 2012 Last updated: Friday May 11, 2012, 1:18 AM

BY MARK J. BONAMO MANAGING EDITOR Hackensack Chronicle

City officials announced that the Anderson Street train station would soon be rebuilt, more than three years after a fire destroyed the historic building. City Manager Stephen Lo Iacono said at the April 18 City Council meeting that he was notified of that by NJ Transit.

The original carpenter Gothic-style station was built in 1869 and was one of the stops on the historic Erie Railroad. It was listed in the New Jersey Register of Historic Places and the national register in 1984. The station was destroyed by a 2009 fire and was removed from the National Register of Historic Places in May 2011.

Hackensack officials were lobbying NJ Transit to construct a new station since the fire. Although city officials do not have full details yet regarding what NJ Transit, which operates the station as part of the Pascack Valley Line, plans to do, they’re pleased progress was made.

"The train station gives the neighborhood a sense of place and service to the commuters who are using it," Lo Iacono said.

Lo Iacono noted that NJ Transit would be sending initial plans in the next few weeks for city officials to review. Officials at NJ Transit could not be reached for comment.