Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#705474  by dgraiani

andegold wrote:How is it that this program can display tracks for all departures out of Penn yet the live displays inthe station claim to not know what track trains will be on until the very last second?
Notice they all say track 3...?
 #705476  by Jtgshu

andegold wrote:How is it that this program can display tracks for all departures out of Penn yet the live displays inthe station claim to not know what track trains will be on until the very last second?
HAHAHAH i was thinking the same thing - maybe they will give the crews web enabled cell phones to check the track assignments on "DepartureVision" instead of all the crews trying to fight and see the little green monitor.......

I love it when the track is announced before the crew even knows it inside the crew room! Thats fun.
 #705486  by andegold

You know, I was so astonished that track postings were there I didn't notice that all NJCL trains are Track 2, Amtrak is split between 11 and 12, and NEC and MidTown Direct share 3. Oh well, so much for trying to get a head start down the cattle chute.
 #705561  by arrow

This sounds like a great idea, I can't wait to try this out when it's fully functional. I like how you can see the stops that each train makes as well.
 #705562  by arrow

Terrapin Station wrote:
firthorfifth06 wrote:Makes sense.

However, with the first home pre-season Jets game tomorrow night, will the meadowlands trains be listed on Hoboken's page?
I imagine they will be. As well as on the SEC Lower Level page.
I'll be going to Giants Stadium tomorrow night via train so I'll let you know if it was on there.
 #705574  by Terrapin Station

arrow wrote:This sounds like a great idea, I can't wait to try this out when it's fully functional. I like how you can see the stops that each train makes as well.
It pretty much already is fully functional. Read back in the thread.
 #705579  by Terrapin Station

arrow wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:
firthorfifth06 wrote:Makes sense.

However, with the first home pre-season Jets game tomorrow night, will the meadowlands trains be listed on Hoboken's page?
I imagine they will be. As well as on the SEC Lower Level page.
I'll be going to Giants Stadium tomorrow night via train so I'll let you know if it was on there.
Ok, thanks. But I plan on checking DepartureVision in the afternoon and evening and seeing if the Meadowlands trains are on there. I expect that they will be.
 #705584  by Taborite

Because if a track assignment gets changed late this program can just have a number changed, but on the ground it would mean several hundred people rushing up those tight staircases from one platform and down to another...? With those crowds, you don't want to give them the wrong information, so better to make sure your train is in working order and ready to take passengers before you go announcing a track.
 #705610  by ryanov

CNJGeep wrote:
firthorfifth06 wrote:confirmed, Google Chrome does not support the new application. Does Firefox? I know IE has no trouble with it
Affirmative. Running Firefox 3.0.13 with no issues
When I click on trains in Firefox, I get black on black I think... I didn't think to highlight, but there was nothing there.

Works great on my Treo, but you can't click the train. That's fine for me -- nearly all trains stop in Newark from NY, which is when I'd be interested in using it (when they add NYP that is).
 #705611  by Terrapin Station

Taborite wrote:
Because if a track assignment gets changed late this program can just have a number changed, but on the ground it would mean several hundred people rushing up those tight staircases from one platform and down to another...? With those crowds, you don't want to give them the wrong information, so better to make sure your train is in working order and ready to take passengers before you go announcing a track.
No, I think the correct answer, as alluded to earlier, is that some default number is used for all trains that don't have actual track assignments yet. Take a look at all trains that are more than 20 minutes from departing. Based on the line or the agency, a default track is assumed and provided. When an actual track assignment is made, I assume the track number gets updated. But I haven't stared at one to confirm.
 #705616  by ryanov

radioboy wrote:Because by time you're at Secaucus or Newark, what line the train is on is irrelevant if it's going to New York. So it makes it easier to spot your train on the board - westbounds are black, eastbounds are colored.
It actually is relevant if you know anything about the reliability of trains coming from one place or another, but I guess if you're that savvy, you can read train numbers anyway.
 #705779  by andegold

Does anyone know anything about Train 7163 from New York Penn to Newark at 2:29PM? It shows on DepartureVision but not on any other online or printed timetable.
 #705785  by Sirsonic

7163 is an ACES train. Things like is are probably why NJT has not released this program to the general public officially yet. Use at your own risk...
 #705809  by Amtrak7

Notice that Port Jervis only shows the 2128 departure and nothing else. Otisville shows all departures, though.