Railroad Forums 

• Southern Tier Time Lapse (HD Reshoot)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#614531  by sullivan1985

With the New YouTube HD that has just been released over the last few weeks, my 720P Time lapse videos look MUCH better. Here are two of my fav's for you. I strongly suggest viewing these videos in HD. You will see a world of difference.

Southern Tier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XJfds07oCg
Moodna Valley: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-2acuzke24

And of course, just a fun one that is not railroad related...

George Washington Bridge: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHTfymtkJm4
 #615032  by radioboy

Still awesome. I love when you're really close to something at a stop because the HD is crystal clear... the other loco, the crossbucks, or the signals waiting to enter Hoboken
 #615123  by nick11a

Awesome job and quality Sully!

Some interesting things I noticed. In addition to seeing signals such as Clear, Approach, Stop, Approach Medium, Approach Slow and Slow Clear, you can also see if you look carefully (and pause the picture) signals with a flashing light. I'm amazed you can see this in this time lapse video of it. Amazing.

Such as:

Crossing over at Ridgewood Junction:
2:04 Approach Limited (notice flashing green light on bottom)
2:07 Limited Clear (notice flashing light on bottom)

Crossing over from Track 1 to 2:
2:17 Approach Limited
2:19 Limited Clear

2:26 Advance Approach (notice flashing amber light on bottom) followed by the approach for the stop signal
2:35 Engineer turns off headlights for passing train.
2:39 Limited Clear Again for crossing over from Track 2 to 1

Also, I believe they get an Advance Approach in Hoboken as well.

Neat stuff.
 #615198  by sullivan1985

Chessie GM50 wrote:Youtube actually did something useful for once. (adding the HD, usually the developers are idiots...)
No HDR methods used in any of these videos. Each frame is a single 4-second exposure shot with a digital SLR in RAW format. The colors where adjusted in Photoshops RAW editor to fix the color temperature.

Music is a remix of Bathysphere - Where's Vicky? remixed by Quantic.

Another one of my favorites is the Pascack Valley Line: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqR6MuzfGas
 #615353  by NJT4207

That was best best 3:19 I've spent in along time. Great work on my favorite line !!!!
 #615440  by Wdobner

Wow, I miss the Opeth from the first but after a first run-through in normal then watching the HD version I can see the definite improvement. Very impressive, a lot of pretenders try to do these sort of videos and fail miserably. And thanks for turning me on to Opeth.
 #615476  by sullivan1985

Wdobner wrote:Wow, I miss the Opeth from the first but after a first run-through in normal then watching the HD version I can see the definite improvement. Very impressive, a lot of pretenders try to do these sort of videos and fail miserably. And thanks for turning me on to Opeth.
Not a problem. Opeth is a fantastic band if your into progressive metal. Especially during the winter.
 #615482  by Taborite

I was rather disappointed to see that your Morristown line time lapse was on a train that made every single stop except Mount Tabor :(

As a sidenote, I love the one non-time-lapse train video you have posted on your account. Getting 4112's horn going through 3 crossings was a nice catch!
 #617022  by MNRR_RTC

Hey Sully, I loved what you did for the Port Jervis line. it was really good. I also liked the song you used so much, I downloaded it for my ipod and I listen to it when I ride the train. Merry Christmas and enjoy your holiday.
 #617414  by alewifebp

Great videos that look awesome in the new YouTube HD. I downloaded the PJ time lapse video from August of last year that you did. What song was used in that video?
 #617548  by sullivan1985

alewifebp wrote:What song was used in that video?
Southern Tier Line: Team Sleep - 11-11
Southern Tier Reshoot: Quantic - Where's Vicky Remix
Pascack Valley Line: Opeth - Atonement
Pascack Valley Reshoot: Sixtoo - Sidewinders
Morristown Line: Skalpel - So Far
Morristown Line Reshoot: Pourcupine Tree - Phase I
Bergen County Line: Pain Of Salvation - Dryad Of The Woods
Moodna Valley: Kelly Bailey - Lab Practicum (Half-Life 2 Soundtrack)