The Honorary Nonsense 7277 Sideswipe Where's Cruiser Thread

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, Kaback9, nick11a, ACeInTheHole

Don31

Re: 7 TRAIN

Post by Don31 »

Geez, here we go again.....
You can't fix stupid, but stupid eventually fixes itself.

cruiser939

Post by cruiser939 »

waldwickrailfan wrote:is there a reason for this thread?
Yeah there's a reason waldwick; Boxcar wants to know if anyone else knows the whereabouts of 7 train. Boxcar is a well respected member of this forum who has decided that this question is important enough to break his almost year and a half long silence. In the wise words of uzi, settle down. You could learn a lot about what not to do by following this particular discussion.
To loosely quote Capt. Jack Aubrey from the movie Master and Commander: "NJT runs a railroad, not a private yacht! WE DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR YOUR DAMNED HOBBIES, SIR!"

Originator of Jeff Smith rules!
Cruiser "Awesome Justice Train Freedom America" 939

ATCFault

Post by ATCFault »

nomis wrote:"We love 7 Train"
"Wasn't there this kid..." haha
N8 > traction cut out > Idle > N8 > traction cut out > Idle
...just another day.

nomis

Re: NJT Nonsense (was NJT 7277 Sideswipe?)

Post by nomis »

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious - A.
- Dr. Emmett Brown
Moderator: Metro-North (with CDOT), Photography & Video

Avatar: An overnight trip on Girard Ave. stumbles upon 6 PCC's and an LRV stuck within two blocks.

Silverliner II

Re: NJT Nonsense (was NJT 7277 Sideswipe?)

Post by Silverliner II »

nomis wrote:If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious - A.
- Dr. Emmett Brown
Wait a moment! Are you telling me you built a TIME MACHINE??? Out of an ALP-44M??????
"*BEEEEEP!!!* Three-Three! Three! No Alarms!"
(announcement from CN hotbox/dragging equipment detector, Milepost 33, track #3, Oakville Subdivision)

NJT4115

Post by NJT4115 »

waldwickrailfan wrote:is there a reason for this thread?
I don't think so, there once was, but what do I know?
Attention Ho-Ho-Kus passengers, the next westbound train to Waldwick, stopping at Waldwick, is now arriving on Track 3. Please watch the gap when boarding the train.

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? -Billy Joel

ACeInTheHole

Stuck Horn/Bell

Post by ACeInTheHole »

Okay I have a rather funny question for all of you engineers here, I was perusing through threads and in one of the other forums I saw a thread titled "stuck horn", then I remembered how PL42 #4025 as it was pushing my train out of Broad street after I got off the other day had either a stuck bell or a bell that was left on (even though I think it would be pretty obvious that you should shut your bell off, so Im going to assume it was stuck), and it leads me to want to ask, has this ever happened to any of you? If so, do tell! The stuck horn especially sounds like something which gives a whole new meaning to the word annoying if you happen to be crewing that train..

AEM7AC920

Re: Stuck Horn/Bell

Post by AEM7AC920 »

The bell left on is something that happens every so often in push pull service just as the headlight being left on. You would be surprised sometimes you are running back to the other end or have a ton of things on your mind like going home and you forget to check everything. I have come across bells left on, headlight on, brake stand not cut out, locomotive brake left on, sander left on, as well as generator field switch left up which all can keep engineers from drawing power when running control car first. Haven't come across any stuck horns yet but for example you may have a bell that stops working after being on so you forget to turn it off so then eventually down the road it decides to ring again after the fact.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!

Uzi-Cat
Location: Reporting to the Control Center for Reinstruction as we speak.

Post by Uzi-Cat »

I had a stuck horn about a year ago on one of the ex-CNJ geeps. I was blowing the horn for Watchung Ave Station going west when the valve broke. It was one continuous horn blast from there all the way to MSU. That is where I started disassembling the backside of the control stand to get at the shut-off valve. The number of noise complaints that that incident generated in the Upper Montclair area is legendary.
"All I wanted was a Pepsi!"

AEM7AC920

Post by AEM7AC920 »

Uzi-Cat wrote:I had a stuck horn about a year ago on one of the ex-CNJ geeps. I was blowing the horn for Watchung Ave Station going west when the valve broke. It was one continuous horn blast from there all the way to MSU. That is where I started disassembling the backside of the control stand to get at the shut-off valve. The number of noise complaints that that incident generated in the Upper Montclair area is legendary.
Hope you had a good pair of plugs.
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!

25Hz

Post by 25Hz »

I remember a bell that stuck on (locomotive pushing) from about midway to elizabeth. There were work crews out on the tracks so it may have been intentional.
Next stop the square, journal square station next!

ACeInTheHole

Post by ACeInTheHole »

AEM7AC920 wrote:
Uzi-Cat wrote:I had a stuck horn about a year ago on one of the ex-CNJ geeps. I was blowing the horn for Watchung Ave Station going west when the valve broke. It was one continuous horn blast from there all the way to MSU. That is where I started disassembling the backside of the control stand to get at the shut-off valve. The number of noise complaints that that incident generated in the Upper Montclair area is legendary.
Hope you had a good pair of plugs.
Actually no hes lucky that it wasnt 4112 with the old P5 it used to have.. Now THAT wouldve been unfortunate..

ACeInTheHole

Post by ACeInTheHole »

AEM7AC920 wrote:The bell left on is something that happens every so often in push pull service just as the headlight being left on. You would be surprised sometimes you are running back to the other end or have a ton of things on your mind like going home and you forget to check everything. I have come across bells left on, headlight on, brake stand not cut out, locomotive brake left on, sander left on, as well as generator field switch left up which all can keep engineers from drawing power when running control car first. Haven't come across any stuck horns yet but for example you may have a bell that stops working after being on so you forget to turn it off so then eventually down the road it decides to ring again after the fact.
Yikes.. I guess a bell left on is childs play.. Im assuming AEM that this is when you pick up your set in the yard and youre checking things over you find these things right?

GSC

Post by GSC »

Combine this with the noise in the cab of a screamin' F40. Ouch. Bleeding ears.
They tell me to act my age. I don't know how to do that. I've never been this old before.

ACeInTheHole

Post by ACeInTheHole »

GSC wrote:Combine this with the noise in the cab of a screamin' F40. Ouch. Bleeding ears.
Uhh if i was hypothetically an engineer and that happened to me with an F40 i would just walk away from the engine at that point if i couldnt get to the shut off valve, either that or switch it at my final destination if it was close.. Can you even safely function with that kind of sustained volume? I know i wouldnt be able to take it.. The F40s have excellent k5s, even a quick burst from the outside is enough to give me a roaring hour long headahe..

Return to “New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT”