The Pascack Valley Line Thread

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, nick11a, ACeInTheHole, Kaback9

mackdave

Re: The Pascack Valley Line Thread

Post by mackdave » Fri May 17, 2019 6:23 pm

I was in my senior year of high school (1971) when EL put a eastbound hot piggyback all over the ground in Mahwah. I remember it well, as some of the trailers split open and there were beef carcasses all over the right of way. I was able to get a ride to the scene in early afternoon to see it. I just missed the following eastbound that was sent east on the Piermont Branch to Spring Valley, then down the NJ&NY. It had a pair of SD-45's as the power with about 100 cars. The RR had to call out managers to flag the crossings in Hackensack, as the manual gate tenders were not on duty during the middle of the day.

Mackdave.

airman00

Post by airman00 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:58 pm

The other day, I saw pl42 #4000 going through westwood (towards spring valley) and it did not sound good at all. And then today, I saw on that stub siding in Hillsdale, either 1 or 2 flat cars with rails on them. It looked like just one flat car with rails, but could’ve been two. Couldn’t tell as I drove past how many cars.

Angus202

Post by Angus202 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:26 pm

airman00 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:58 pm
I saw on that stub siding in Hillsdale, either 1 or 2 flat cars with rails on them. It looked like just one flat car with rails, but could’ve been two. Couldn’t tell as I drove past how many cars.
Four grade crossings are being replaced in Hillsdale this summer per https://thepressgroup.net/four-hillsdal ... placement/. This is likely the ~1000' of rail required to do so. There has been no word from NJT on the bustitution during replacement. At this point, I expect they'll notify PVL riders the night before service is suspended for the work. They could very well turn trains just west of Westwood, but that would require someone in management who is actually competent and can define the word "responsibility".

R36 Combine Coach

Post by R36 Combine Coach » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:12 pm

For that project, will MNCR provide alternate bus service for Rockland passengers or NJT have buses north of the border? There is already frequent HudsonLink bus service as an alternate.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.

njt/mnrrbuff

Post by njt/mnrrbuff » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:41 pm

Those are very important safety improvements to the grade crossings. As for Rockland County, hopefully those riders will use Hudson Link to connect to Metro North at Tarrytown. By the way, I have been seeing that ridership numbers on HudsonLink have been dismal from the start and hopefully they will improve.

airman00

Post by airman00 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:43 am

Apparently something came thru Westwood last night @ 3am with a MUCH louder than normal horn and woke several residents up last night. I must’ve slept thru it since I didn’t hear a thing. Anyone know what it was? One resident thought it was a work train or something?

mohawkrailfan

Post by mohawkrailfan » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:20 am

Angus202 wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:26 pm
airman00 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:58 pm
I saw on that stub siding in Hillsdale, either 1 or 2 flat cars with rails on them. It looked like just one flat car with rails, but could’ve been two. Couldn’t tell as I drove past how many cars.
Four grade crossings are being replaced in Hillsdale this summer per https://thepressgroup.net/four-hillsdal ... placement/. This is likely the ~1000' of rail required to do so. There has been no word from NJT on the bustitution during replacement. At this point, I expect they'll notify PVL riders the night before service is suspended for the work. They could very well turn trains just west of Westwood, but that would require someone in management who is actually competent and can define the word "responsibility".
The first I heard of it was this tweet today, but I don't ride the PVL and I wasn't paying close attention.
Make a little noise at the flag location.

Return to “New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT”