The Atlantic City Line Thread

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, nick11a, ACeInTheHole, Kaback9

liftedjeep
Location: Along the former Camden & Burlington County Railroad

Re: The Atlantic City Line Thread

Post by liftedjeep » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:25 pm

-NJT #4208 (GP40PH-2B) was spotted this evening on Atlantic City Line #4634 at the Cherry Hill Station. This marks the first time #4208 has been on the Atlantic City Line since being stored out of service at the MMC since 2013/14.

http://bkranefeld.rrpicturearchives.net ... id=5165284

NJ Transit has been reactivating many of their GP40s that have been oos due to the equipment/power shortage.

Ben
Check out my photo collection! : http://bkranefeld.rrpicturearchives.net

liftedjeep

Post by liftedjeep » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:13 pm

This evening (7/26) saw WPCA-20 on its return trip to Camden, waiting out an NJ Transit train at CP JORDAN. This junction is where the Hainesport Industrial Track and Atlantic City Line converge at about the Park Ave grade crossing in Pennsauken.

No sooner did I arrive and scout a location, did Atlantic City Line train #4634 round the curve at speed, bound for Philadelphia....

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5165576

Ben

chuchubob

Post by chuchubob » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:03 pm

Atlantic City Air Show Extra photographed at Utica Ave, Westmont, with five cars.

Tom V

Post by Tom V » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:13 am

Much of my ideas for improving the ACL have already been discussed;

Utilizing ALP-45DP to access Suburban and Market East, relocate the Cherry Hill station and build a new station at Woodcrest for better access from 295.

MedicSutton

Post by MedicSutton » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:24 pm

I think those are great ideas but we’ve got to find a better way to funnel these trains into center city quicker. Not sure how much more time we can milk out of the delair bridge. We and/or they should be working with Patco to look towards the future and find a faster more direct way to funnel rail traffic into center city. Especially if feeder lines are added and service is added to the acl.. My thought has always been a Delaware River tunnel but I’m curious as to what others are thinking.
Not you fat Jesus

liftedjeep

Post by liftedjeep » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:13 pm

"Delaware River tunnel"????? No dice!!

You want passengers into and out of the city a lot quicker? Simple: Add More Trains!

That's always been an issue with the Atlantic City Line. If you miss a train at any given station, you're stuck waiting almost two hours for the next. A higher train frequency would undoubtedly add more ridership to the ACL. I know it's been discussed in the past, but NJ Transit doesn't seem to be interested.

Also, I'm not so sure that relocating the Cherry Hill station would be to the advantage of the Atlantic City Line. Its current location is ideal in the fact that it is within walking distance of multiple stores and retail outlets. The issue is that half of these stores are cut off from the station unless you walk down to the Route 70 overpass to get across the line. A pedestrian tunnel would be ideal at this location. Again, ideas that Transit has tossed around in the past but failed to ever act on.

Ben

ExCon90

Post by ExCon90 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:33 pm

I think the main concern in some posts above is about the around-the-horn routing via the bridge, Frankford Jct., North Phila., Zoo, and 30th St. to get to Suburban Station and Market East/Jefferson. I don't see any alternative but a tunnel under the Delaware and have no idea where the money would come from to do that and then have some kind of terminal in Center City. (Tying into the Commuter Tunnel would overtax the existing services as well as introducing a congestion nightmare at the actual junction. Of course Frankford Jct. presents the same problem, with the addition of Amtrak NEC traffic to make it more challenging.)

andrewjw

Post by andrewjw » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:41 am

The simplest solution would be to improve the tail tracks situation at the western end of PATCO to increase capacity there, and add some express trains with timed transfers to the ACL.

Return to “New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT”