Railroad Forums 

• New Meadowlands Rail Station

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#265672  by Marv95

2005Vdub wrote: what accesibility? its nearly 8 blocks south from newark penn, nowhere near the ncs and its in a s#$t neighborhood. Take a drive down there and see for yourself. Yea its on broad street, but behind the CNJ terminal and a few stores. I myself a very big hockey fan would not want to be hanging out around outside of that arena waiting for a game at night.
Eight blocks? Try three blocks west of Penn Station. I've been in that area there hundreds of times (born in Newark, live in East Orange), and if you can survive going to the South Bronx or MSG late at night then you can handle that area. It's no worse than Yankee Stadium, the MCI Center when it first opened or even the Joe Louis Arena. The Gateway concourse already links Penn Station to Mulberry Street, the entrance of the arena, plus the site already sits on numerous bus routes. Quit being afraid of the unknown.

As for the topic, this idea would have been great ten years ago. But unless Corzine supports the Meadowlands more than ever, it's pointless.

#265676  by rbenko

Re: the Devils arena in Newark: I believe a walkway will be constructed from the new arena to Penn Station, similar to the Gateway complex walkway. In this way, your typical Devil fan (sheltered teenagers and their parents from the burbs) won't even have to dirty their feet by trodding on any Newark street.

BTW it is NOT 8 blocks from the arena to the station - it's more like 2 (somewhat long) blocks. Also, I'm sure people coming from Penn Station will not have to enter through Broad Street, which would make it an even shorter walk.

As for me, I will be much more inclined to go to a Devil game once they move. I've lived in Jersey for 15 years and have been to exactly 2 Devil games - I absolutely HATE sitting in traffic to and from the game, and invariably being forced to walk the 'cattle chute' to and from the arena. Not very fun in the middle of the winter. And with the Meadowlands link, I would definitely be much more interested in going to Jet/Giant games (if I can get tickets!).

Back to the Newark arena: Hopefully they will spruce up the area to entice people to stay before and after the games - right now it's a bit scary after 6 p.m.

#265725  by ryanov

I live there. It's not scary if you don't get scared. I am frequently downtown after 11:00p, let alone 6:00p.

#265743  by rbenko

ryanov wrote:I live there. It's not scary if you don't get scared. I am frequently downtown after 11:00p, let alone 6:00p.
Don't mean to insult - I am basing my opinion on possibly outdated information. I worked in downtown Newark (Gateway 3) for a couple of years in the late 90's. During the day I never thought twice about walking around the area, and frequently did. However, during the times I got out of work late, the whole area around Mulberry/Market/Edison was practically deserted - didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Nobody (and do I mean NOBODY) I worked with ever hung out in downtown after work. Ironbound, definitely yes, but downtown, never. Hopefully things have changed for the better, and the new arena could only help.

#265745  by Jtgshu

I thought they were going to build a walkway/concourse from where the old CNJ bridge and the current parking lot on the ROW is to the arena, and have a pretty much straight shot into the station????

#266310  by drewh

Re: the Devils arena in Newark: I believe a walkway will be constructed from the new arena to Penn Station,
Yes they are supposed to connect the southern end of the Penn Station platforms with the old CNJ bridge for an easy 2 block walkway to the arena. Dont know whether or not it will be enclosed.

#266383  by rvrrhs

rbenko wrote:
ryanov wrote:I live there. It's not scary if you don't get scared. I am frequently downtown after 11:00p, let alone 6:00p.
Don't mean to insult - I am basing my opinion on possibly outdated information. I worked in downtown Newark (Gateway 3) for a couple of years in the late 90's. During the day I never thought twice about walking around the area, and frequently did. However, during the times I got out of work late, the whole area around Mulberry/Market/Edison was practically deserted - didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Nobody (and do I mean NOBODY) I worked with ever hung out in downtown after work. Ironbound, definitely yes, but downtown, never. Hopefully things have changed for the better, and the new arena could only help.
I believe the arena is supposed to be the anchor for a bunch of development that would bring more [positive] late-night street life to the area...like the restaurants and pubs surrounding Madison Square Garden.

#266389  by northjerseybuff

so i'll ask it again..is the new meadowlands station going to be a reverse move in and only open on game days..or will there be a loop for all PVL trains to go in?

#266407  by Jishnu

northjerseybuff wrote:so i'll ask it again..is the new meadowlands station going to be a reverse move in and only open on game days..or will there be a loop for all PVL trains to go in?
You'll find all your answers in this NJSEA Project Description

#266463  by Steve F45

map helped with figuring out how the tracks will be. but why not loop it around the complex?

#266554  by Frogger

2005Vdub wrote:map helped with figuring out how the tracks will be. but why not loop it around the complex?
There is a $250MM answer...

If the West Shore is restored the West Shore connector through the Meadowlands to the BCL will be built also allowing for the pass through.

#266600  by ryanov

rbenko wrote:
However, during the times I got out of work late, the whole area around Mulberry/Market/Edison was practically deserted - didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
That may be, but there being very few people around isn't SCARY, unless that's the type of thing you're scared of -- that is my point. It would be nice if it were more alive, but let's not act like you're going to get shot walking outside your building; no one will be there to shoot you.

#266670  by geoffand

ryanov wrote:
rbenko wrote:
However, during the times I got out of work late, the whole area around Mulberry/Market/Edison was practically deserted - didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.
That may be, but there being very few people around isn't SCARY, unless that's the type of thing you're scared of -- that is my point. It would be nice if it were more alive, but let's not act like you're going to get shot walking outside your building; no one will be there to shoot you.
Most of the crime in Newark are either gang related or "bad person" on "bad person" related crimes. Yes, there are occasional muggings and rapes on "good people"--but not out of line with any other urban setting including NYC. In fact, I'd argue you'd be as safe walking through a Newark downtown park late at night as any other park in NYC. The "bad people" don't stay in downtown Newark since there is no one to do bad things to.

#266972  by rbenko

ryanov wrote:That may be, but there being very few people around isn't SCARY, unless that's the type of thing you're scared of -- that is my point. It would be nice if it were more alive, but let's not act like you're going to get shot walking outside your building; no one will be there to shoot you.
Okay, "scary" wasn't quite the right term to use - I was exaggerating a bit. Still, walking around mostly deserted city streets after dark, in a city that is not exactly known for favorable crime statistics, is not really comfort-inducing. My hope is that the new arena will bring people to the area after working hours and make downtown Newark a bit more lively. Providing an atmosphere that "feels" safe to most people is a big prerequisite to attracting patrons during off-hours.

#267028  by ryanov

And my point, as a resident of Newark who takes ENDLESS heat from friends aboout that fact, is that exaggeration is really the last thing the place needs. As funny as it is to rip on Newark, it's really fairly ignorant. I'm really not sure how much money the city needs to spend on making itself appear safe to people who listen to stereotypes in order to choose their nighttime destinations. What Newark DOES need to attract people downtown at night is anything that actually is open during the evening hours. People don't wander around in front of closed storefronts for entertainment.