Railroad Forums 

• Newark platform patterns and PDFs on NJT.com?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1517411  by train2

I have a trip upcoming where I will be arriving on a NJT NEC train from the south into Newark Penn and changing to a southbound Amtrak on a Saturday. How are the platform patterns typically used? I will be arriving, I would guess, on an outside platform. And needing to change to southbound Amtrak platforms. Is there any predictable pattern to this?

I will have about an hour to 1 1/2 to kill between. I have shot photos from the platforms in the past and I see lots of photos taken there. Have there been any changes, anyone have any issues with handheld photos recently?

Finally, is there a way to see PDF schedules on NJ Transit.com. All I could pull up was a page where you input departure, arrival and date and it spit out a long list of trains. I would very much like to see a block schedules to look for other alternatives I can use.
 #1517418  by Yankees1

Usually on the weekend, the NJT NEC will arrive on Track 4, and the Amtrak will arrive across the platform on Track 3. However, Track 4 is now temporarily closed because Amtrak is replacing the ties, so the NJT NEC will either arrive on Track 5 or Track 3. If it arrives on Track 5, you will have to go downstairs through the station and back upstairs to get to Track 3 for the Amtrak.

Schedules are found under "Current PDF Schedules" in the link below. They run 3 types of NJT NEC's on the weekend- Local from Trenton to NYP, Express from Trenton to NYP (Express from Metropark --> EWR) and local from Rahway to NYP.
https://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet ... on=TrainTo

Edit: Sorry, I thought you were going south, not coming from the south. As others have pointed out, NEC arrive on Track 1
Last edited by Yankees1 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #1517420  by jamesinclair

From the south, you will arrive on Track 1 (most likely), with a chance of Track A, and a very small chance of track 2.

Amtrak going south will depart from Track 3 (most likely) with a very small chance of any other track.

Tracks are posted on departurevision well in advance.

You might want to use your time to visit the new Mulberry Commons park on the old railroad right of way.
 #1517421  by MACTRAXX

T2: At Newark platform assignments usually are as follows:

Track Letter A: Extra eastbound Amtrak and NJT when needed.
Track 1: Eastbound Amtrak and NJT trains - direct connection to PATH across platform.
Track 2: Used for both eastbound and westbound Amtrak and NJT trains. PATH is across the platform.
Tracks 3 and 4: Island platform used for westbound Amtrak and NJT trains.
Track 5: Primarily used for originating NJT Raritan Valley Line trains.

Your NJT train will most likely arrive on Track 1 and your Amtrak train will board from Track 3.

MACTRAXX
 #1517440  by ExCon90

If you have any interest in light rail, the Newark City Subway originates and terminates in the basement, and you'll have time to take a short trip at least partway out and back. The line leaves the subway after Norfolk St. and runs on private row in the open after that. If you can find the scheddule on the NJT website, it's Route 7.
 #1517453  by R36 Combine Coach

train2 wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:42 amI will have about an hour to 1 1/2 to kill between. I have shot photos from the platforms in the past and I see lots of photos taken there. Have there been any changes, anyone have any issues with handheld photos recently?
Be careful around the PATH platform, try not draw attention past the PATH gates and barriers.