NJT F40PH Question

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, nick11a, ACeInTheHole, Kaback9

LIengineerBob

NJT F40PH Question

Post by LIengineerBob » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:18 am

At what point did the JT F40PH’s get dynamic (blended??) brake added to them. I know they were delivered without them, and were added later on at some point. Was it when they were rebuilt as CAT units, or sometime in between delivery and rebuilding into CAT’s??

blockline4180

Re: NJT F40PH Question

Post by blockline4180 » Fri May 24, 2019 5:18 am

BTW, was told 4119 and 4120, the last 2 F40s on NJT roster will be getting PTC as well.. However, I don't know if they will ever enter revenue service again.. My guess is no, but one never knows at NJT.
~Steve Pellettiere
Co-Moderator: DL&W/Erie/EL Forum
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."

Zeke

Re: NJT F40PH Question

Post by Zeke » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:13 am

I went over to NJT in 94 and they were all screamers. IIRC they had the blended brake added by Juniata when they were rebuilt and the AC/Delco HEP alternators were replaced by 680 HP CATs. NJT was having a hell of a time with wheel problems mostly corrugation and thermal cracking on coaches and Diesel power and mainly due to very tight schedules and high speeds on the Newark division running on Amtrak and the AC line with 100 mph service on the NEC and one stretch of 90 on the AC line. The AC service was mostly 2 or 3 car consists with limited braking characteristics for the speed required to maintain schedules. The NJT CMO Jim Brown who was a NYC vet solved most of the problems when he speced out new diesels and rebuilds with dynamic brakes. IIRC they were fitted with EMD's XR-2 extended range feature that didn't cut out until a full stop occurred.

Return to “New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT”