Railroad Forums 

• Are high platforms possible in all locations?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1432549  by alewifebp

trainbrain wrote:
EuroStar wrote:
trainbrain wrote:Since Kingsland and Lyndhurst stations are very close together (less than 3/4 of a mile apart), I wonder if doing a full rebuild of one of the stations and closing the other would be a good idea.
I believe that the Lyndhurst replacement is planned between Kingsland and current Lyndhurst, closer to the parking lots. It will probably happen eventually when NJT finds the money, even though I am big fan of walk-to stations as opposed to drive-to parking lots.
I can see on Google Earth about where the new station would likely go. There's a shopping center right next to the line that's exactly between the two stations with a huge parking lot that appears to be underutilized. There would be plenty of space to put a station and use the existing parking lot. A station in that location would still be within walking distance to many, and there'd be way more parking, so people from a larger radius would be able to use it. It's sort of a tradeoff between walk to station and drive to stations. Walk to stations serve the immediate community better, but have limited parking, so people from slightly further away can't use them. Drive to stations are usually less walkable, but can serve a larger geographic area and that means more ridership.

Right now, Kingsland and Lyndhurst have zero parking. A new station that was still in a walkable area, but with a decent sized parking lot would attract a lot of new ridership.
From what I can tell, the parking lot that you speak of is already used for Lyndhurst Station. So it is the best location.
 #1432555  by EuroStar

Here is the latest public information that I could find on the two high level platforms that NJT is working on:

Perth Amboy: http://www.nj.com/middlesex/index.ssf/2 ... ation.html
Lyndhurst: http://www.northjersey.com/story/news/t ... /94077846/

Note that the platforms themselves are not the main tics of the articles.
 #1432983  by ryanov

The Lyndhurst parking lot is the section of the shopping center parking lot closest to the station. You can verify that on New Jersey Transit website.