Railroad Forums 

• Automated Station Announcements

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1370413  by Jmark

I'm wondering why we havent had automated station announcements on the CIIs and C4's in a while? they used to work OK a few years back.

Figured the conductors would like such a feature as then they don't have to announce every stop (unless you're on the montclair line and have to do the "shuffle" as all cars don't platform. )
 #1370457  by srock1028

Believe it or not, I've actually heard passengers complain about hearing them in the quiet car....
Cant make this stuff up.
 #1370473  by Jmark

I thought the point of station announcements were that people knew where the train was!

Between this and the fact that the CII sets seem to have HORRIBLE slack action issues (damn near got knocked over last night) it makes me dread the single level fleet out of NY.

The C5's however are a pleasure to ride in comparison.
 #1370484  by ryanov

They were always screwed up. Now, I think they should fix them for ADA reasons, but...
 #1371202  by CentralValleyRail

srock1028 wrote:Believe it or not, I've actually heard passengers complain about hearing them in the quiet car....
Cant make this stuff up.
I believe that 100%. Most of the people that ride in the quiet car need a BIG ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT.
 #1373090  by TDowling

The automated station announcements on NJT are not nearly as reliable as the ones on Metro-North EOH. Although they seem to do well on Port Jervis trains, other NJ trains (at least the ones Ive ridden on) either display wrong info, delayed info, or no info at all.
 #1373796  by ryanov

CentralValleyRail wrote:I believe that 100%. Most of the people that ride in the quiet car need a BIG ATTITUDE ADJUSTMENT.
If you are saying that, you probably should be in a different car. What is with these people who sit in the quiet car and decide they'll only make a /little/ noise. There are like 6+ other cars on every train.
 #1374144  by Literalman

Once I rode an inbound Montclair train that had every station announced wrong, after the train had left it.

I get this nonsense almost every day on Virginia Railway Express. On a trip to NJ in December I was looking forward to a break from it, but one Trenton train I rode had wrong automated announcements.
 #1374232  by Roadgeek Adam

Literalman wrote:Once I rode an inbound Montclair train that had every station announced wrong, after the train had left it.

I get this nonsense almost every day on Virginia Railway Express. On a trip to NJ in December I was looking forward to a break from it, but one Trenton train I rode had wrong automated announcements.
I've had outbound ones for the MBN that's gone horribly wrong. Usually it strikes in Montclair due to the proximity.
 #1374396  by jamesinclair

Ive had a train where every stop was announced as the same. I forget what station was repeated, but it doesnt matter where we were, we were about to arrive in Metropark (example).