Railroad Forums 

• M&E Capacity Improvements (Dreams, Not Reality)

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1450597  by bleet

It’s actually a two level bridge with 3 if not 4 tracks... so just reconnect the leads and rehab the lower level and viola!

Just kidding of course but I’ve always wonder if that lower level could be used somehow.
 #1456146  by NIMBYkiller

Just out of curiosity, is the M&E itself maxed out between where the Montclair/Boonton comes in and Newark Broad? (regardless of whether the trains are going to Hoboken or NYP). I'm wondering how much more service could come in from the Montclair/Boonton for a project I'm working on, but this is the obvious bottleneck and it would help to know if there's any capacity left to play around with.
 #1456157  by EuroStar

There is plenty of capacity left especially if more trains start skipping Newark Broad. Just think about it: between Swift Interlocking and NYP Amtrak manage many more trains on two tracks than what currently passes by Newark Broad on NJT on three tracks. Maxing out around Newark Broad will involve triple track bridge plus high density signal system similar to the one between Newark Penn and NYP. While the curve east of Newark Broad is slow, the area east of Newark Penn is not much faster, so theoretically around Newark Broad you should at least be able to get close to the train density that currently exists in the tunnels under the Hudson.
 #1456254  by NIMBYkiller

Interesting. I would have thought it was at or close to capacity what with EB Montclair/Boonton trains having to foul 2 tracks when merging with the M&E. Good to know. I'm working on a theoretical project where there'd be an additional 3- 4 trains per hour in each direction coming off that branch during rush hour.
 #1456685  by time

EuroStar wrote:There is plenty of capacity left especially if more trains start skipping Newark Broad. Just think about it: between Swift Interlocking and NYP Amtrak manage many more trains on two tracks than what currently passes by Newark Broad on NJT on three tracks. Maxing out around Newark Broad will involve triple track bridge plus high density signal system similar to the one between Newark Penn and NYP. While the curve east of Newark Broad is slow, the area east of Newark Penn is not much faster, so theoretically around Newark Broad you should at least be able to get close to the train density that currently exists in the tunnels under the Hudson.
Newark Broad is an important transfer station. Transfers from Eastbound Hoboken locals to MidTown Direct. Transfers from Morris & Essex and Gladstone Westbounds to Montclair Line. Transfers from Morris & Essex Midtown Directs to Gladstone Westbounds. Transfers to Newark Light rail, access to Newark Penn Station. Oh, yeah ... Newark is still NJ's largest city. Build the three tracks - don't propose cutting back service. There are so many transfers at Broad Street, the middle island platform can go from empty to hundreds standing back to empty in 5 minutes or less. It's impressive.
 #1456707  by EuroStar

time wrote:Newark Broad is an important transfer station. Transfers from Eastbound Hoboken locals to MidTown Direct. Transfers from Morris & Essex and Gladstone Westbounds to Montclair Line. Transfers from Morris & Essex Midtown Directs to Gladstone Westbounds. Transfers to Newark Light rail, access to Newark Penn Station. Oh, yeah ... Newark is still NJ's largest city. Build the three tracks - don't propose cutting back service. There are so many transfers at Broad Street, the middle island platform can go from empty to hundreds standing back to empty in 5 minutes or less. It's impressive.
I was not proposing skipping Newark Broad. I was just responding to his question if there is any excess capacity over the current schedule. As we discussed with you in the past the pinch point is at the two track bridge, there is no question about that. I guess he is more worried about the point where the two lines merge. Green, Ampere and Roseville interlockings form a set that allows almost all possible combinations of running three trains at the same time. That is as long as one does not insist on trains in certain direction using the same platform at all times. For the most part the way things are currently run, trains to NYP and Hoboken always use platform 1 at Broad forcing crossing of all three tracks at grade. It is clear why NJT does this -- for passenger convenience when transferring, but it also eats some of the track capacity.
 #1456752  by ExCon90

Good point about an eastbound move from Montclair blocking two tracks to occupy the third. What's the best speed that can be made on that move as the interlockings are now set up? SWIFT has an 80-mph diverging speed--I would think the physical constraints around Grove St. would make it impossible even to approach something like that.
 #1456826  by time

As I've noted here before, when there are issues near Newark Broad, the two rack railroad becomes a huge bottle neck. Well, Friday night proved that once again, with a signal issue near Newark Broad Street causing delays up to an hour: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/0 ... river_home" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Three tracks would have likely greatly reduced delays.
 #1467459  by time

Wondering if the Summit Pocket Track construction will finally move forward now that NJT has some funding commitments. That seems to be a high priority capacity improvement project for the M&E, and a relatively "achievable" fast-win for NJT / Gov Murphy as an example of a transit system doing it right.