Railroad Forums 

• NJ Transit Relocates Seating at Penn Station

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1332212  by jamesinclair

Baffling, anti-customer decision. They say it is to add space, but people sitting on the floor take up more space...

Additional pictures in link

For those who must avail themselves of New Jersey Transit out of New York's Penn Station, that last modicum of creature comfort and human dignity vanished without explanation earlier this month. Adding insult to, well, insult, the extraction — which removed every single seating surface on the terminal's main concourse — took place not long after the transportation agency announced proposed fare hikes that would add nearly 10 percent to the average straphanger's daily outlay.

An NJ Transit spokeswoman says the seats were merely moved to make the main waiting area less congested. It was not, she makes clear, done to reduce loitering.

Of course, that doesn't quite jibe with the notice the agency posted on the walls, on bright-yellow paper, every few feet above where the benches used to be: "One-Hour Ticketed Seating Relocated."

The spokeswoman emphasizes that the overall number of seats in the terminal remains the same. They're just in a different place now.

So far, anecdotal evidence — which is to say, "glancing around" — would seem to indicate that New Jersey Transit customers have responded to the change not by moving their buttocks to the upper level, but by plopping said keisters on the stairs and the floor in the main corridor.

A careful observer might conclude that a passenger waiting for a train prefers to do so in the closest possible proximity to the main access point to the train platform.
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninsca ... tation.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems like a decission made by someone who doesnt ride the train.
 #1332252  by andegold

Did they moved the existing seating to the elevator hallway on the upper level? Since the article says the total amount of seating has not changed that must be assumed. The LIRR does not provide any seating other than in the designated ticketed passenger waiting room. NJT has such a room on the upper level of the concourse. Amtrak offers no seating other than the ticketed passenger waiting room and Club Acela. Given how crowded the 7th Ave Concourse gets even when trains are on time how is this a bad thing?
 #1332257  by R3 Passenger

I have never had the joy of commuting through Penn Station during rush hour, nor would I ever like to. However, even in the off-peak, the crush of people that run for the door once the track appears on the board is ridiculous.

Sure, this creates an inconvenience for commuters by moving the seating farther from the train. But, as Sister Sperka used to tell me during Sociology 201 back in college, "Humans are creatures of habit." People will just end up sitting on the floor and this creates an unintended safety issue. It could result in tripping hazards for people walking (I have tripped over someone sitting on the ground in a crowded corridor), and a trample hazard for those sitting down if a train is announced to be boarding next to the door they could be sitting at, or across from a pillar they are leaning against. People sitting on the stairs will also cause a problem for traffic flow in this concourse.

Plus, Grandma can't stand in one place for more than 5 minutes and must sit down. She can get down to the floor, but we don't want that happening! What about her?

Although well-intentioned, this boneheaded move is destined to cause more harm (and liability) than good. If anything, benches should have been added to this hall!

Just my $0.02. Take it to the bank, and the interest will eventually accumulate into an "I told you so."
 #1332271  by jamesinclair

andegold wrote: Given how crowded the 7th Ave Concourse gets even when trains are on time how is this a bad thing?
Did you see the picture in the article? People sitting on the floor take up MORE room.

Also not everyone is able to stand for an extended period of time
 #1332335  by Backshophoss

How many poeple hang around charging smartphones in Penn at 110v outlets?
If there are power outlets where the new seating area is,people will flock to them.
 #1332418  by bleet

Backshophoss wrote:How many poeple hang around charging smartphones in Penn at 110v outlets?
If there are power outlets where the new seating area is,people will flock to them.
Just last week I walked through the upper area looking for an outlet -- there are none. But I did think at the time that it was great that NJT had finally added some seating up there. (Hadn't realized they were removed from the lower area which is pretty stupid in my opinion.)

The reality is that the lower area is overcrowded because the only track access from the upper area is via elevator. NJT really needs to create a concourse like the LIRR has which would connect all the various loading areas many of which are in other parts of the station.
 #1332730  by TrainPhotos

What they should do, in my humble opinion, is keep the expanded seating (I have not seen it in person to make an opinion on how effective/useful the new seating area is so i may change my mind) and put the seating back downstairs. I mean, how long did the 7th ave concourse take to get a street entrance?