Railroad Forums 

• New Schedules on NJT

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1334301  by ryanov

The reason those trains exist is because they basically just flipped which trains go to Bay Head -- shortening the 2300 trains to Long Branch and extending the 3200 trains to Bay Head. I still think it is a real shame that this added service came at the expense of other service.
 #1334482  by CentralValleyRail

ryanov wrote:The reason those trains exist is because they basically just flipped which trains go to Bay Head -- shortening the 2300 trains to Long Branch and extending the 3200 trains to Bay Head. I still think it is a real shame that this added service came at the expense of other service.
Are you really surprised?

The idea is to kill HOB NJCL service.
 #1334512  by jamesinclair

ryanov wrote:
srock1028 wrote:
jamesinclair wrote:
srock1028 wrote:
jamesinclair wrote:Sigh, the 1 hour gap northbound from NB during evening rush hour is still there.

5:29pm and then 6:30pm.
Yes and I believe you and I had private messages about this. Until the project is completed, this is how things have to be. One of four tracks is closed in one of the busiest sections of the railroad.
Yup we did, Im just hopeful that the schedule gets fixed sooner rather than later.
Understood, hopefully Amtrak's project will finish as scheduled then!

Are we talking about the schedule got from New Brunswick eastbound? It has been there for many years. What does that have to do with recent track work?
There was a departure from NB round about 6pm that was eliminated a year and a half ago.

The train still exists, but it expresses past NB.

According to srock1028, it is because of Amtrak track work that the train has to be in the express tracks.

That means your only option leaving NB to go east, during the very height of rush hour, is the 6pm Amtrak train, which charges a huge price premium.

Whats worse is that both the 5:30pm and 6:30pm NJT trains are very local, so aside from a 1 hour gap in service, youre hit with a longer trip. For having such high ridership, NB gets very screwed.
 #1334568  by ryanov

As you can see here, the gap has existed for some time. Apparently now, it has moved slightly.
 #1334786  by jp1822

CentralValleyRail wrote:
ryanov wrote:The reason those trains exist is because they basically just flipped which trains go to Bay Head -- shortening the 2300 trains to Long Branch and extending the 3200 trains to Bay Head. I still think it is a real shame that this added service came at the expense of other service.
Are you really surprised?

The idea is to kill HOB NJCL service.
That's been agenda for years. NJT has slowly been pulling the plug. No more Newark to Bay Head expresses. They eliminated one round trip 2309 series to/from Hoboken as part of a "cost reduction" many times the NJCL trains have been rescued by a 2300 series diesel train.

Personally I am curious as to how the dual modes get fueled. They used to rotate them on the Hoboken trains from Bay Head.....but now nearly everything I've seen at Bay Head is dual mode and not diesel. The dual modes operate on the shuttles too. Maybe they switch out in some way at LB?

Again, let's not forget that the NJCL originally ran trains Bay Head to Hoboken/NYC. Long Branch was just another stop.

Remember the plans of electrifying to Red Bank only - and essentially eliminating service West (south) of that point. There were MANY plans on the table when electrification was extended south of South Amboy....all in all we still got the abbreviated version, cause electrification never made it west (south) of LB.

I am still rooting for the NJ Southern to be re-activated with passenger service from Red a Bank to Lakewood. That's part of the whole MOM plan!
 #1334822  by CNJGeep

During the summer, trucks come to Bay Head. That is to say, NJT has an agreement in place with Bay Head to allow fuel trucks in during the summer.
 #1348031  by philipmartin

New schedules on all NJT rail lines, Sept. 13, 2015. There are no changes on the RV, NEC and AC lines, but the new schedules show the new fares, effective Oct. 1.
The On the Coast Line the 7300 NY - Bay Head trains come off, and we go back to Bay Head shuttle service on a two hour headway, with 4388 and 4389 eliminated.
 #1348116  by SecaucusJunction

The new Middletown express starts Monday. I guess NJT finally found the crews to support it.
 #1348129  by amtrakhogger

Any chance of bringing back 3801?
 #1348218  by mohawkrailfan

I was trying to eyeball the differences until I found this list of changes.

It seems like a general elimination of late-night service. Friday nights in NYC have been cut back 45-60 minutes. Watch out for those people driving home.
 #1348465  by ExCon90

... having previously driven in, thus depriving NJT of a round trip. I often wonder whether planners take into account that the loss of inbound trips is an inevitable part of cutting late outbound service. Additionally, who knows how many passengers ride home on earlier trains but only took the train in the first place because a fallback late-night option existed?
 #1348491  by Ken S.

mohawkrailfan wrote:I was trying to eyeball the differences until I found this list of changes.

It seems like a general elimination of late-night service. Friday nights in NYC have been cut back 45-60 minutes. Watch out for those people driving home.
NJT - Encouraging drunk driving by cutting the late night trains.
 #1348506  by time

Why bother with a schedule. After tonight's commute, the new schedule should just simply say, "show up to the station six hours before you want to get to your final destination." Perhaps that is too tight of a schedule? Same day service guarantee from time of departure?