Railroad Forums 

• Commuter Rail Delay Discussion

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1344513  by kilroy

If a westbound died in the tunnel, why was my eastbound stuck in the swamp for over 30 minutes? Did 3321 block the crossovers or was it a platform capacity issue that held my train up?
 #1344705  by kilroy

Guess I should have mentioned that my train wasn't being passed by westbounds either. It was like both tunnels were shut down.
 #1344838  by philipmartin

A man drove his car about a mile on the Pascack Valley Line from Westwood towards Emerson this morning, when a train hit the vehicle, tying up the line for several hours. The man was killed, and his vehicle caught fire, and the engineer kept going far enough to clear the fire.
http://www.northjersey.com/news/train-h ... -1.1395594" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by philipmartin on Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
 #1344918  by hovercat

philipmartin wrote:Grade crossing collision near Westwood station shut down the Pascack Valley Line this morning. Single track, I believe.
It wasn't a grade crossing incident. Keep on posting incorrect info though... seems like the inmates are running the asylum here.

-Your pal Cruiser
 #1344922  by philipmartin

Excitement in Newark this afternoon. A little after 4pm, a Trenton train, with a pair of Alp46s on the hind end broke down on track 4. They made a number of announcements changing track assignments for various trains. They took the train out of service, and the equipment was still there when I left on the 4:42pm Long Branch train.
 #1348504  by time

Two and a half hour commute tonight. HORRIBLE job communicating cancellations and delays. Departure vision was a massive fail. The automated PA was announcing trains at 20+ minutes late, and departure vision showed it due to arrive in 8 minutes. Then a train was cancelled, then it was "due to arrive," then it was cancelled, the it was "due to arrive," then it was... you get the drift. FAIL
 #1348625  by philipmartin

time wrote:Two and a half hour commute tonight. HORRIBLE
Not an isolated incident, it describes occurrances I see at work from time to time.
I hope time doesn't mind, but I copied and pasted his post on to the Worldwide Railfan forum, Ferrocarril Central Andino thread, where we compared a few horror stories in Italy and on NJT.
 #1348944  by philipmartin

Here's one I haven't heard in a while: 90 minuted delays into and out of New York this afternoon account Amtrak power problems. The first announcements were twenty minuted delays; after Ileft the station I was told that it's up to ninety minutes now.
Last edited by philipmartin on Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1348946  by philipmartin

Here's one I haven't heard in a while: 90 minute delays into and out of New York this afternoon account Amtrak power problems. The first announcements were twenty minute delays; after I left the station I was told that it's up to ninety minutes.
A fatality at Ellberon has them busing between Bay Head and Long Branch.
Here's a link to New Jersey News 12 which I'm including mainly to show it's excellent "NJ Transit Alert" art work. http://newjersey.news12.com/news/nj-tra ... 1.10856440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm curious about the nature of the overhead wire problem.
Last edited by philipmartin on Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:29 am, edited 8 times in total.
 #1348948  by srepetsk

Confirmed, 90-min delays: https://twitter.com/NJTRANSIT/status/644586352735076353" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Trains are subject to 90 min delays in and out of #NYPenn due to an Amtrak power problem causing staggered train travel through the tunnels
Cross-honoring is in effect with PATH (Newark, NY 33rd & Hoboken), #NJTBus and private carriers out of #PABT, & with NY Waterways
Cross honoring is in effect with New York Waterway to Hoboken from Pier 11 and the World Financial Center for #NJTRail customers in/out NY
 #1354174  by philipmartin

Oct. 23 - problems with the switches and signals at Branchport, just east of Long Branch, at the start of rush hour this morning had everything stopped there for about an hour.
They brought one of the 3500s that normally terminates at South Amboy up to Matawan for his turn this morning.