Railroad Forums 

• MyTix Mobile Ticketing

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1274308  by Woodcrest295

I just used the system for the first time yesterday to go from Philly to AC. It worked fine. I downloaded the app and paid for my ticket before i got to the station. When the train was called for boarding i activated the ticket. Easy Peezy Lemon Squeezy.
 #1274345  by CentralValleyRail

ryanov wrote:It has been announced on board every train I've taken lately.

I suggest the gentleman above who is calling people idiots but seems to know very little about anything should temper his words.
What do YOU know that we don't?

Are trains running to MSU on the weekends? No.

Make the excuse that the town of Montclair doesn't want it but some high up town people have mentioned to me personally that NJT has no interest in spending a few bucks to cover an extra crew.

Has late rush BCL service been cut? Yes.

Has service overall declined in the past 5 years? Yes.

While Amtrak attempts to move forward with the Gateway project, NJT just sits there sulking about the fact that ARC didn't work out (granted it was the great CC's fault for that). Plans change in the field and people and agencies need to learn how to adapt.

I ride on a weekly basis for commuting purposes but have recently scaled back because in my business time is money and NJT shows no signs of getting me to where I'm going ontime.

It's pathetic that a multi-million dollar station was built in Wayne yet 5 trains run inbound a day? Only 2 or 3 of them are "express" (and I use that word generously) the rest taking well over an hour. Several Wall Street friends of mine shake their heads every time someone mentions the transit center because they're forced to take the bus to Midtown then the subway downtown.

And HEY I'm not a total jerk. I did stand up and defend the App, it's one thing that works great.
 #1274483  by ryanov

The one thing I do realize is that this is a state agency that is getting less and less likely to see proper funding. If NJT has "no interest" in paying for something, it's likely that they can't afford to without taking it from something else they deem more important.
 #1274496  by DestinationUnknown

I don't see what any of that has to do with mobile ticketing, CentralValleyRail. Apparently you know a lot of important people that work on Wall Street and in the government of Montclair, but much of what you're saying is baseless and has nothing to do with MyTix.
 #1274562  by JoeG

I'm sure that NJT is short of money, as Ryanov points out. In that context, it seems to me that the money they spent and are spending on MyTix would have been better applied to actual transportation.
 #1274693  by CentralValleyRail

DestinationUnknown wrote:I don't see what any of that has to do with mobile ticketing, CentralValleyRail. Apparently you know a lot of important people that work on Wall Street and in the government of Montclair, but much of what you're saying is baseless and has nothing to do with MyTix.
I was answering the " but seems to know very little about anything" statement...

No one said they were important, they happen to be my neighbors...

And look I get that the funding is almost non-existent but what the current funding is being used for is questionable to say the least.

How are those new tracks out to Andover looking?
 #1322246  by TDowling

JoeG wrote:I'm sure that NJT is short of money, as Ryanov points out. In that context, it seems to me that the money they spent and are spending on MyTix would have been better applied to actual transportation.
I agree. Especially since the service doesn't work on Android devices
 #1322426  by Ken W2KB

TDowling wrote:
JoeG wrote:I'm sure that NJT is short of money, as Ryanov points out. In that context, it seems to me that the money they spent and are spending on MyTix would have been better applied to actual transportation.
I agree. Especially since the service doesn't work on Android devices
From NJT's MyTix site: Eligible Phones
MyTix is currently available for iPhone, iPad and Android devices.

That said, if utilization of mytix is beyond minimal, the capital and O&M costs of ticket machines will be lower. It may well be that mytix does - or will - if widely used result in a net cost savings thus affording more money to transportation needs. Plus it avoids customer satisfaction issues with queues for machine purchases.
 #1336185  by philipmartin

MyTix came in handy for a few riders at my station this morning when we lost our connection to the bank for a few hours this, and they had no cash. They learned how to use MyTix fast.