New NJT Heritage cars

Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: Tadman, nick11a, ACeInTheHole, Kaback9

mcgrath618

Re: New NJT Heritage cars

Post by mcgrath618 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:12 pm

blockline4180 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:01 pm
nightmare403 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:02 pm
We have yet to see NJDOT and CR
4212 was supposed to get Conrail,.. The NJDOT and PRSL are yet to be determined... Rumors of them being used on the tack on order of dual modes being assembled in Germany, but nothing confirmed.
I'm hoping 4212 still gets CR. I love the blue and would love to see it on the NEC again.

Backshophoss

Post by Backshophoss » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:37 pm

Since NS has a CR heritage unit,will need NS's OK For NJT to do a unit.
The Land of Enchantment is not Flyover country!

mcgrath618

Post by mcgrath618 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:26 pm

Backshophoss wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:37 pm
Since NS has a CR heritage unit,will need NS's OK For NJT to do a unit.
And not Conrail's?

kilroy

Post by kilroy » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:41 pm

As long as the NJT Conrail unit had NJT reporting marks, what would NS care now it is painted?
Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways?

ExCon90

Post by ExCon90 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:54 pm

Since Conrail still exists as CSAO, did NS have to get their approval? Or did NS and CSX also acquire the right to the Conrail logo?

Ken W2KB
Location: Lebanon Township, Hunterdon County, New Jersey & Tiverton, RI USA

Post by Ken W2KB » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:58 pm

kilroy wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:41 pm
As long as the NJT Conrail unit had NJT reporting marks, what would NS care now it is painted?

A couple reasons come to mind. (1) protection of the service mark, (2) in the event of personal injury or property damage arising from an incident involving the Conrail decorated NJT locomotive, plaintiff's counsel would implead both NJT and Conrail as defendants.
~Ken :: Fairmont ex-UP/MP C436 MT-14M1 ::
Black River Railroad Historical Trust :: [/url]

EuroStar

Post by EuroStar » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:49 am

Ken W2KB wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:58 pm
...(2) in the event of personal injury or property damage arising from an incident involving the Conrail decorated NJT locomotive, plaintiff's counsel would implead both NJT and Conrail as defendants.
Man, if this is true, is our legal system messed up ..... by the same token, I can get a couple of NJ State Flags, mount them on my pickup and if I get into a crash, the plaintiff can sue the state ..... this really seems messed up to me.

ExCon90

Post by ExCon90 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:44 pm

I thought those lawyers only sued parties with deep pockets: that ought to eliminate New Jersey ...

NaugyRR

Post by NaugyRR » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:09 pm

Some nice pictures of the heritage power in this article from Railway Age...
https://www.railwayage.com/passenger/co ... k-awesome/

Fair Use:
...All the locomotives were shopped during their regular maintenance cycles. Each was in need of new paint. For example, CNJ 4109 was last painted in 1992. NJT says the vinyl wraps are “expected to last more than seven years, and the paint even longer.”
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"

John_Perkowski

Post by John_Perkowski » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:51 am

Meanwhile, Trains has a great pic of an ALP in PRR Tuscan Red with whiskers.

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... ocomotives
~John Perkowski: Moderator: General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
Assistant Administrator: Railroad.net/forums
Jeff Smith & Greg Primrose now own railroad.net!

NaugyRR

Post by NaugyRR » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:02 am

I can't decide if I like the PRR unit or the EL unit more; they both came out really nice. I kinda wish the MTA did something like this, like what they did with the lightning stripe FL9 back in the day.
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"

Ken W2KB

Post by Ken W2KB » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:35 pm

EuroStar wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:49 am
Ken W2KB wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:58 pm
...(2) in the event of personal injury or property damage arising from an incident involving the Conrail decorated NJT locomotive, plaintiff's counsel would implead both NJT and Conrail as defendants.
Man, if this is true, is our legal system messed up ..... by the same token, I can get a couple of NJ State Flags, mount them on my pickup and if I get into a crash, the plaintiff can sue the state ..... this really seems messed up to me.
Better off not choosing a state logo. States are immune from tort liability and lawsuits except to the extent a state decides to allow itself to be sued in certain limited circumstances.

andrewjw

Post by andrewjw » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:45 pm

Ken, unless you can point me to legal code or precedent I'm going to have to call you out on pulling your legal advice out of a hat. There's no way painting a logo on a train would make Conrail at fault, and sure, you could sue, but good luck with NS counter-suing for your frivolity.

Ken W2KB

Post by Ken W2KB » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:54 pm

andrewjw wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:45 pm
Ken, unless you can point me to legal code or precedent I'm going to have to call you out on pulling your legal advice out of a hat. There's no way painting a logo on a train would make Conrail at fault, and sure, you could sue, but good luck with NS counter-suing for your frivolity.
Happened to my employer years ago. Independent contractors who were approved under the state-sanctioned seal up and save energy conservation program funneled through public utilities, started putting the utility company name and logo on their vehicles in addition to their own business name. My employer was named in lawsuits arising out of motor vehicle accidents despite these contractors not performing work on behalf of the company, but rather for property owners taking advantage of the state program. Among the arguments used by plaintiff's counsel was that the company derived advertising / public relations benefits from its name and logo appearing on the third-party vehicles, and the fact that my employer took no action to deter the placement of its logo and name on the vehicles amounted to consent, and hence use of the vehicles was a common enterprise resulting in both the company and the independent contractors being liable. The complaints were settled out of court and the company sent cease and desist letters to all contractors under threat of legal action if they failed to comply to remove the logos and company name withing a reasonable time. Unusual and odd, I agree, but that's why I remember it.

ExCon90

Post by ExCon90 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:40 pm

Even if a suit is frivolous it still costs money and time to get it thrown out. Conrail was once sued by a motorist who claimed to have been cut off by an Erie Lackawanna piggyback trailer on a Texas highway. If the plaintiff had known which railroad the trailer was on interchange to he would probably have sued them as well.

Return to “New Jersey Transit NJT Rail and Light Rail LRT”