Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1040463  by CP-4070

Hello all,
in Sep-Oct. I will make a railfan trip from LA to NY in a rental car and will stay one week in NY.
On my list is:
NYP
GCT
Transit-Museum
MetroNorth to125th and back
Amtrak to Poughkeepsie and back
Acela from Penn to one of the next stations and back and lots of Subway things.
I like to go on the Brightonline to Conney Island. and see the station at Atlantic Avnenue.

What else would you prefer as beeing of interest? Where is it very dangerous for one with a camera?

Good spots for Sunnyside yard?

Thx, Andrew
 #1040527  by Passenger

Don't miss Coney Island Stillwell. Especially if you remember the old building.

In my opinion, the new building captures the essense of the old, with the not so good features left out.
 #1040544  by Patrick Boylan

Yes, Coney Island Stillwell station is impressive. You have 4 different subway lines to get to it, so it'll be hard to decide which is best. At least you can go there one way and return another, assuming you aren't using the devil's device rental car to travel in New York.
Also the next station east of Stilwell on the F and Q lines is double decker West 8th St, a different style of double decker elevated station from Queensboro Plaza, which you should also check out, it's hard to avoid, when you visit Sunnyside.
 #1040678  by R36 Combine Coach

For the best views of Sunnyside Yard, ride the southbound #7 between 33rd-Rawson and Queensboro Plaza and look right (north).

By car, the best choice would be the Honeywell Street bridge. Although high aluminum fencing is present along the span, there are some holes and gaps.
 #1040916  by ExCon90

1. Don't use the rental car any more than you absolutely have to.
2. When (not if) you go to Stillwell Ave., take a minute to go outside and across the street; the station frontage has been restored, with some original BMT signage.
3. PATH from World Trade Center to Newark; lots of trackage to see, as well as container terminals and PATH shops.
4. Hoboken NJ Transit terminal (you could do that on your return from Newark by changing at Journal Square). There aren't as many trains now as there were before Midtown Direct started, but it's still pretty impressive (and it's in the open air) in the evening rush hour, and I don't know how many people from outside the area know about it.
5. Newark Penn Station in the evening rush hour is good for train-watching, especially at the west end of Tracks 3-4. Acela, Amtrak Regional, maybe a Florida train or the Crescent, NJT MUs and loco-hauled, diesel and electric, and multi-levels. In the evening rush hour, don't miss the thundering herd coming down the cattle chute from PATH on the upper-upper level to the east end of Tracks 3-4 every time a PATH train arrives overhead (you'll hear it arrive).
6. Jamaica in rush hour. In the evening a good place to watch the action is the east end of Tracks 6-7 or 7-8. You can watch passengers get off a train on 6 and walk through the train on 7 to board the one on 8. They're used to it.
7. If you're into light rail, the former Newark City Subway (what is it called now, Newark Light Rail?) is an interesting ride, one of the few dating from before World War II. The Hudson-Bergen Light Rail is interesting pretty much everywhere. The line to Tonnelle Ave. (rhymes with Donnelly) goes through the West Shore tunnel through the Palisades, and if you go outside you can see a plaque reading "New York West Shore & Buffalo" with a date of 1906 (?), which was removed by NJ Transit from the tunnel portal and is now displayed on a rock on the way from the Tonnelle Ave. station to the parking lot (are there railfans at NJ Transit or what?).
8. You probably won't have time, but the Staten Island Railway, formerly S. I. Rapid Transit, is a real curiosity, with 3rd rail, high platforms, and B&O color position wayside signals, through some suburban countryside, especially toward the south end. It's part of NYCTA and whatever fare instrument you're using includes it; the ferry to get there is free, and typical of the ferries that the railroads used to operate across the Hudson to their terminals on the New Jersey side.
 #1041624  by jonnhrr

CP-4070 wrote:Hello all,
in Sep-Oct. I will make a railfan trip from LA to NY in a rental car and will stay one week in NY.
On my list is:
NYP
GCT
Transit-Museum
MetroNorth to125th and back
Amtrak to Poughkeepsie and back
Acela from Penn to one of the next stations and back and lots of Subway things.
I like to go on the Brightonline to Conney Island. and see the station at Atlantic Avnenue.

What else would you prefer as beeing of interest? Where is it very dangerous for one with a camera?

Good spots for Sunnyside yard?

Thx, Andrew
For your Acela trip I suggest heading East to Stamford, you cross the Hell Gate bridge, with a great view of Manhattan out the left side of the train, then the NY connecting through the Bronx past Co-op City and across the Pelham Bay drawbridge, and the junction at New Rochelle. Stamford is a busy station with Amtrak, Metro North and Shore Line East equipment. You could then ride back via MNCR to GCT or 125th.

Jon
 #1041638  by ExCon90

Speaking of the Hell Gate Bridge (you must take Jon's advice and go to Stamford), if you're going to ride Metro North from GCT to 125th St., look out the right side of the train after you leave the tunnel. You'll be at 97th St., and if you look to the right (eastward) down the cross streets you will see, somewhere around 107th St., there are two streets which give you a fleeting glimpse of the Hell Gate Bridge (I was never able to pinpoint exactly which streets they are). It's a real now-you-see-it-now-you-don't view, but it's a good one for as long as it lasts. Of course you can see it on the way back by looking to the left, but there's a greater chance that an opposing train will cut off the view at exactly the wrong moment.
 #1042076  by CP-4070

Thanks for all this helpful information! I will take the Acela to Stamford and won't use the rental car in NY. I was told that there is a $ 500 fare if you get the car on the Westcoast and give it back at the Eastcoast as they have to carry it back. As far as I do not find any rental car which is not charged for this I will take a flight or train from California to NY.

Any stations on the NY Subway or areas where I should not go to? Tourist guides handle that very general.

THX, Andrew
 #1042303  by Allan

ExCon90 wrote:.......
2. When (not if) you go to Stillwell Ave., take a minute to go outside and across the street; the station frontage has been restored, with some original BMT signage.
Just a quick note - the BRT/BMT signs on the outside of the new Coney Island terminal are not the originals. They are excellent reproductions.

The originals were too worn and cracked (it was a wonder to many that they survived that long ) to be restored and reinstalled so they now reside in the Transit Museum's archives.
 #1042330  by R36 Combine Coach

ExCon90 wrote:Speaking of the Hell Gate Bridge (you must take Jon's advice and go to Stamford), if you're going to ride Metro North from GCT to 125th St., look out the right side of the train after you leave the tunnel. You'll be at 97th St., and if you look to the right (eastward) down the cross streets you will see, somewhere around 107th St., there are two streets which give you a fleeting glimpse of the Hell Gate Bridge (I was never able to pinpoint exactly which streets they are). It's a real now-you-see-it-now-you-don't view, but it's a good one for as long as it lasts. Of course you can see it on the way back by looking to the left, but there's a greater chance that an opposing train will cut off the view at exactly the wrong moment.
That would be 106 Street.
 #1042411  by CP-4070

Oh yes, transit museum is on my list as well, did I mentioned that?
Are there any good model shops or train bookshops in New York or on the west shore of the Hudson in the Newark area?

Cheers, Andrew
 #1043264  by Brookville BL20GH

CP-4070 wrote:Oh yes, transit museum is on my list as well, did I mentioned that?
Are there any good model shops or train bookshops in New York or on the west shore of the Hudson in the Newark area?

Cheers, Andrew
There is a great train hobby shop @ Ditmas Ave. on the (F) Line:

http://www.trainworld.com/

Directions: Exit the Station, go on the Eastern Exit and walk under the Elevated Section southward, the train shop is on your left.

There are also more NYCT focused shops @ NYC Transit Museum at the Grand Central Annex and the NYC Transit Museum in Brooklyn.
 #1045549  by hi55us

Great views can be had of the Hell Gate Bridge and Queens from Carl Schurz Park on the upper east side. The park spans from 84th st. to 90th st.