Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#814853  by R36 Combine Coach

I was referred to these K-car flats: 1247 and 1224. Previously they were work box motors as recently as the late 1990s. There are other flats as well such as #32 spotted at the Jersey City maintenance yard, but these are apparently not converted K-cars.
 #815088  by PONYA

R36 Combine Coach wrote:I was referred to these K-car flats: 1247 and 1224. Previously they were work box motors as recently as the late 1990s. There are other flats as well such as #32 spotted at the Jersey City maintenance yard, but these are apparently not converted K-cars.
Yes those 1247 and 1224 are gone, sold as scrap to Kawaski. Hence why I said the one lonely K car 1243 is all that remains. Definately an end of an era.
 #867538  by R36 Combine Coach

K-car 1243 will eventually be sent to Frontier for scrap. It currently is on the backlot at Harrison Shop.
 #872620  by BuddSilverliner269

Speaking of Path and the FRA, I have noticed that Paths connection to Amtrak has been cut in Hudson Yard. Was this Path's only connection to the outside world? If so, does that mean they will try to reclassify the trains and crew statuses?
 #872663  by OportRailfan

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Speaking of Path and the FRA, I have noticed that Paths connection to Amtrak has been cut in Hudson Yard. Was this Path's only connection to the outside world? If so, does that mean they will try to reclassify the trains and crew statuses?
That's interesting Budd. I'll have to look at the diamond connection thats out by the employee stop/the grade crossing they have out there.
 #872670  by BuddSilverliner269

OportRailfan wrote:
BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Speaking of Path and the FRA, I have noticed that Paths connection to Amtrak has been cut in Hudson Yard. Was this Path's only connection to the outside world? If so, does that mean they will try to reclassify the trains and crew statuses?
That's interesting Budd. I'll have to look at the diamond connection thats out by the employee stop/the grade crossing they have out there.
Yeah, its the diamond that was taken out I believe , or a piece of track near the diamond. Its been like this for almost 2 months but I have been slow to report it. The track on Hudson Yard leading to diamond has ties at the end to prevent running through the track
 #1493017  by erie910

For railroads under FRA regulations, certain brake tests are required, such as what was once called the Initial Terminal Test. The test involved an application from the controlling unit and an observation of each brake cylinder in the train that it both applied and released. For PATH trains which are stored at one of the terminals, how is this brake test done when one side of the train is obscured by a high-level platform and the other side can be observed from an adjacent, active track, if the opposite side is not against a wall or also obscured by a high-level platform? Or is there an exception for these types of rapid transit operations?

Re:

#1505958  by BuddR32

metman499 wrote:Nope, SIRT was the B&O and the SIR is the passenger operator.
Right exactly. When the MTA took over SIRT, they created the SIRTOA Staten Island Rapid Transit Operating Authority

On a side note, I don't believe that it is still regulated by the FRA, and hasn't been since 1980
 #1508034  by R36 Combine Coach

BuddR32 wrote: When the MTA took over SIRT, they created the SIRTOA. On a side note, I don't believe that it is still regulated by the FRA, and hasn't been since 1980
When factory delivered (1973), the R44s were modified to ICC operating rules at the time, including grab irons. The R44s do not have FRA cards in their cabs at this time and no longer under federal jurisdiction as part of the national network, but I believe the operators are still classified as engineers.

Re:

#1513958  by XBNSFer

Irish Chieftain wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:51 pm And the B&O line in Staten Island (especially the North Shore line) connected to the CNJ main in Cranford, going through Bayway, Linden and Roselle. (Still does.)

Incidentally, during the B&O, it was the SIRR. SIRT or SIRTOA is definitely a NYCTA/MTA designation, dropped recently in favor of "Staten Island Railway" (SIR). See this forum for more on that...
Um, no, it was called "SIRT" before the North Shore Line and South Beach Branch lost passenger service, so not an MTA created name at all. MTA didn't take over the St. George to Tottenville line until 1971. See the attached link, and notice the "SIRT" referneces in the newspapers regarding the closure of the North Shore Line and South Beach branch - in 1953. B&O ran what was left with some city subsidies provided from 1953 until 1971 when the MTA took over, with B&O retaining freight traffic rights.