Metro-North: A History of Accomplishment (new web page)

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Metro-North: A History of Accomplishment (new web page)

Post by Jeff Smith » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:14 pm

MNRR has put up a new web-page: http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/mnrHistory1.html

I do have a "point of order" regarding something on the second page. For 1997 it mentions that the Wassaic extension was started and goes on to say: "first expansion expanding the Harlem Line". I think this is in error; it was merely a reactivation of existing dormant tracks. And, IMO, it should have been to Millerton.

Also no mention of buying Beacon Line, but that's just a personal point of order.

Here's a previous discussion of MNRR's accomplishments and other high (or low) lights: Metro North at 25: The good, the bad and the ugly

You can get a good laugh at some of my earlier foaming.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

Noel Weaver

Re: Metro-North: A History of Accomplishment (new web page)

Post by Noel Weaver » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:08 pm

Interesting stuff. Some of it is more or less BS though. There is nothing like "tooting your own horn". They have made a huge amount of progress but at a huge cost. Much of the neglect that they have had to contend with over the years was due to a long time lack of support of the states and locals most of which has been corrected in this era but at a huge cost. Fares are at an all time high, expenses too at an all time high but ridership too is at an all time high. I think there are two sides to this story, I would probably prefer the positive side but there are negatives too.
Noel Weaver

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:17 pm

If you mean that existing track was rail held by spikes in dirt, you would be right.
the ties were so bad they could hardly be picked up, and when MNCR made only move to retreive a box car for HRRC the rail would lift in air in front of engine.
The railroad including railbed had to be totally rebuild and also was extended beyond the existing(remaining) rail at Wassaic. so the description is 100% accurate.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

Clean Cab

Post by Clean Cab » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:06 am

There is no doubting MN has done a lot with what they first started with. But, I hope they realize that continuing maintainance is essential. There is an increasing list of areas where track conditions have gotten worse.
I'm stuck on a sandbar on Cape Cod, and I couldn't be happier!!!

Tadman

Post by Tadman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:23 pm

I think what Jeff is trying to say is that when MNCR promotes their achievement of extending service on the Harlem line, it's a bit ironic given that the state and federal gov'ts at one time had a regulatory structure that made it quite unprofitable specifically to carry commuters in this area, and in general, to operate a railroad in the northeast at all. Ergo the PC merger and bankruptcy, the collapse of the infrastructure leading up to Dutch's noted "rail held by spikes in dirt".

So while MNCR has done an admirable job of revamping commuter service, it's also the product of a state and federal government that were none too railroad-friendly for the better part of 100 years.

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:58 am

^What he said :-). There was service there once; they just restored it, whether or not the ROW was servicable.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

Steamboat Willie

Post by Steamboat Willie » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:34 pm

Adding to the lack of political support for the railroads, it really is no different right now with Cuomo and Christie. Both political figures who show little interest in providing funding for the railroads. And to add to CC's post about track condition, I was told by someone in management recently that the future tie replacement project in the Bronx will be with wood and not cement ties. The road bed in Melrose tunnel is an absolute disaster as is several sections along the Harlem line.

pnaw10

Post by pnaw10 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:09 pm

Nice retrospective overall, though I agree there are a few places where details could be nitpicked.

And the blueprints at the top of each page... no SPV-2000s? ;-)

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”