And Congrats to These Heroes: West Haven Rescue

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

And Congrats to These Heroes: West Haven Rescue

Post by Jeff Smith » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:06 pm

http://www.fireengineering.com/news/201 ... cross.html
Four Metro-North Railroad employees were honored for heroism on Thursday by the Connecticut Region of the American Red Cross for their role in helping rescue a trespasser from an overhead power line on the New Haven Line and preventing additional injuries to West Haven firefighters.

District Superintendent Phil Wilhelmy, of Seymour, CT, and three Power Department employees, Bob Doody, of North Branford, CT, Mike Buonaiuto, of Milford, CT, and Frank Langston of Stratford, CT, were named as the organization's 2012 Heroes of Greater New Haven.

On March 17, 2011, Wilhelmy heard a dispatch from the railroad's Operations Control Center about a person caught in one of the transmission poles. He rushed to the scene where a man was dangling from one of the cross arms. West Haven Fire Department personnel were on the scene already planning a course of action.

"I arrived just as a firefighter started climbing up the tower," Wilhelmy said. "I ran over and stopped him because the wire was still "live.' At 13,000 volts, it can kill you!"

As the Fire Department formed a command center, Wilhelmy called the Metro-North Power Department to de-energize, test and ground the wire before letting the rescue begin. And as is protocol, Power personnel secured proper clearance from the Power Control Center, tested and applied workman grounds before giving the "all clear" for the rescue. The trespasser was removed from the wire and no injuries to the responders were incurred.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

Clean Cab

Re: And Congrats to These Heroes: West Haven Rescue

Post by Clean Cab » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:23 pm

I got nothing!!
I'm stuck on a sandbar on Cape Cod, and I couldn't be happier!!!

kitn1mcc

Post by kitn1mcc » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:46 pm

the Question is why did the Fire Dept go and Try to Climb the Cat pole With out knowing if the lines were dead or not
Ui Company Meter Services

Backshophoss

Post by Backshophoss » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:20 am

Was the tresspasser up there to steal wire, or drunk,high+dumb??
Tis "spring break" season.
The Land of Enchantment is not Flyover country!

kitn1mcc

Post by kitn1mcc » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:55 pm

Copper Thief

Otto Vondrak

Post by Otto Vondrak » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:32 am

Jeff Smith wrote:"I arrived just as a firefighter started climbing up the tower," Wilhelmy said. "I ran over and stopped him because the wire was still "live.' At 13,000 volts, it can kill you!"
Sounds like this local fire dept. never got proper training on how to respond to incidents in electrified territory. Most depts. know not to approach the scene until they have been given the all clear from the Power Dept. that all lines are dead. This could be a good training opportunity or refresher if that dept. follows up with Metro-North.

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At

amm in ny

Post by amm in ny » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:12 am

Otto Vondrak wrote:
Jeff Smith wrote:"I arrived just as a firefighter started climbing up the tower," Wilhelmy said. "I ran over and stopped him because the wire was still "live.' At 13,000 volts, it can kill you!"
Sounds like this local fire dept. never got proper training on how to respond to incidents in electrified territory. Most depts. know not to approach the scene until they have been given the all clear from the Power Dept. that all lines are dead.-
Sounds like they didn't get proper training on how to respond to incidents with power lines in general.

Regular power lines -- the ones you see along pretty much every street in the USA -- have similar voltages. The usual voltage for distribution lines (the ones at the top of the poles) is 7,500 to ground, 13,000 between conductors. Proper procedure whenever dealing with wires should be to first find out whose wires they are and get the owner to make sure they're dead before getting anywhere near.

It makes you wonder what they do when they see a tree leaning on the power lines in their home town. (Correct answer where we are: call Con Ed.)

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:32 am

Con-Ed would most definitavly NOT be right answer in Connecticut ;-)
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

Ridgefielder

Post by Ridgefielder » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:54 am

DutchRailnut wrote:Con-Ed would most definitavly NOT be right answer in Connecticut ;-)
Well judging by last October, neither would CL&P. ;-)

runningwithscalpels

Post by runningwithscalpels » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:31 pm

Ridgefielder wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:Con-Ed would most definitavly NOT be right answer in Connecticut ;-)
Not to be petty, but isn't West Haven and all that area handled by UI? All I know is I work with a girl from New Haven who had power the entire time - meanwhile we were without for 4 days!
Change at Bridgeport for service to Derby-Shelton, Ansonia, Seymour, Beacon Falls, Naugatuck and Waterbury

Otto Vondrak

Post by Otto Vondrak » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:42 pm

Aren't fire depts. trained to call the Metro-North Power Dept. to get the power cut before they enter the scene?
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At

MNCRR9000

Post by MNCRR9000 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:18 pm

Otto Vondrak wrote:Aren't fire depts. trained to call the Metro-North Power Dept. to get the power cut before they enter the scene?
I know the volunteer fire department I am with we have a list of all the phone numbers for the power department, operations control center, etc just in case we ever need them. During the classes that Metro-North gave they told us to make sure we call the Metro-North Power Department and have them cut power before entering the scene. Since I don't have all the facts regarding the West Haven rescue it wouldn't be fair to Monday quarterback.

kitn1mcc

Post by kitn1mcc » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:32 pm

Ridgefielder wrote:

That's Neither of there's Territory. we have our (UiCo) feeder on the very top of the cat pole. thats at 115kv.

We are the same union as con-ed we are local 470-1 there local 1

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”