Metro North to Danbury railway museum???

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

peanut1

Metro North to Danbury railway museum???

Post by peanut1 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:42 pm

Hello,
I am looking to maybe do a day trip this summer to the Danbury railway museum. I live on Long island so therefore I will have to take LIRR to Penn Station. Before getting into the city and walking to Grand Central we were going to do a stop in Lynbrook to go to Trainland and then once we get into the city we were going to do Gotham model trains and Red Caboose hobby shop which is closer to GCT. Now that I've given my plan here are my questions. I looked up the Metro North fare from GCT to Danbury and one way fares seem cheaper than round trip. Should I do two One way fares or one round trip and pay the extra money? It's going to be myself and my dad going. I know at one time metro north had a package for the Danbury Railway museum. When I looked at their website under getaways it wasn't listed. Do they still have this getaway? My last question is, will have I have to make any connections anywhere once in connecticut to get to danbury or is it a one seat ride? If I have to make a connection, where would I do this? If anybody can help me that would be great. Thanks in advance.

RearOfSignal

Re: Metro North to Danbury railway museum???

Post by RearOfSignal » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:09 pm

You'll have to transfer at South Norwalk for Danbury. The price for round trip is the same as two one ways.
Hurry up and wait at the signal!

Kilgore Trout

Post by Kilgore Trout » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:54 pm

The Danbury connection is scheduled, so you'll have one RT ticket and won't miss it if your train is late into SoNo.

As for the pricing, make sure you were looking at the right peak period - it's less expensive to travel to/from GCT during non-peak periods.
Welcome to New York Penn Station. You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

andre
Location: someplace between tottenville, downtown, midtown, south norwalk or danbury

Post by andre » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:14 am

When you visit the museum are you looking visit the yard and tour the collection or are you interested in the train ride at the museum?
This is the train to: Pumphouse, Turntable and RPO, Please have all tickets out for collection. Thank you and enjoy the ride

**Also agrees with the statement "Jeff Smith Rules"

peanut1

Post by peanut1 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:54 am

I may do both, depending on how much time we have. I may do the yard only if we don't have alot of time. We'll have to see what happens.

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:33 am

Hmm you travel by train for 80 miles, to do a rail yard local of 950 feet ???
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

SouthernRailway

Post by SouthernRailway » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:42 pm

I've taken Metro-North to the Danbury RR museum. The MN stop is literally just next to the RR museum, so it's very convenient. (If I recall correctly, there is a wye or whatever there, and you have to walk around the wye to get to the RR museum, but it's still super-close).

Check the museum ride schedule before you go- the MN schedule, at least when I took it, allowed for either not enough time at the museum to take the ride, or way more time than needed.

Noel Weaver

Post by Noel Weaver » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:43 am

SouthernRailway wrote:I've taken Metro-North to the Danbury RR museum. The MN stop is literally just next to the RR museum, so it's very convenient. (If I recall correctly, there is a wye or whatever there, and you have to walk around the wye to get to the RR museum, but it's still super-close).

Check the museum ride schedule before you go- the MN schedule, at least when I took it, allowed for either not enough time at the museum to take the ride, or way more time than needed.
The ride is a very small part of the DRM. There are a lot of interesting displays in the yard of old vintage equipment and facilities including the last turntable in Connecticut. The station is nicely restored and also has a lot of interesting displays inside and they have an interesting gift shop as well. If you are or become hungry there is a decent diner across White Street where you can fuel up your body before returning on the train. I don't see you having too much time in Danbury, it is well worth the time you spend there.
Noel Weaver

RedbirdR33

Post by RedbirdR33 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:54 am

<i>The ride is a very small part of the DRM. There are a lot of interesting displays in the yard of old vintage equipment and facilities including the last turntable in Connecticut. The station is nicely restored and also has a lot of interesting displays inside and they have an interesting gift shop as well. If you are or become hungry there is a decent diner across White Street where you can fuel up your body before returning on the train. I don't see you having too much time in Danbury, it is well worth the time you spend there.
Noel Weaver</i>

Mr Weaver: I couldn't agree with you more. The folks at the DRM have worked very hard to turn the old station house into a great museum and they have a very interesting assortment of equipment in the yard. The train ride short in an essential part of the experience especially for the younger folks. The last time that I was there they were using the RDC. My grandson loved the ride and since I like RDC's it was great fun for me too.

Larry, RedbirdR33

Tadman

Post by Tadman » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am

Take pics and share with us! I'd love to see what's happening with the washboards (NH 4400-series MUs). I'm a traction junkie at heart.

runningwithscalpels

Post by runningwithscalpels » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:00 pm

Tadman wrote:Take pics and share with us! I'd love to see what's happening with the washboards (NH 4400-series MUs). I'm a traction junkie at heart.
I didn't get the camera I planned on getting, so the pictures may be a bit on the sucky side as they're with my ancient one, but I did in fact go, here's a link to what I took
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48383371@N ... 9509765697
Change at Bridgeport for service to Derby-Shelton, Ansonia, Seymour, Beacon Falls, Naugatuck and Waterbury

Tadman

Post by Tadman » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:58 pm

Great pics, I actually have that 12x24" print of the CUT P-motor.

andre
Location: someplace between tottenville, downtown, midtown, south norwalk or danbury

Post by andre » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:47 am

Tadman wrote:Take pics and share with us! I'd love to see what's happening with the washboards (NH 4400-series MUs). I'm a traction junkie at heart.

Ill take pics this coming saturday when I go up, this past saturday was getting the group of volunteers together for a walkthrough of all the work that will commence.
The interiors are still currently configured for wire train service and are in the process of being cleaned/organized.

(Inside one of the vestibule doors survives a NYNHH Logo painted on the door after all these years)
This is the train to: Pumphouse, Turntable and RPO, Please have all tickets out for collection. Thank you and enjoy the ride

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:31 am

I set up an official DRM thread in NE Railfan: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 26&t=92805
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

andre

Post by andre » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:42 pm

Jeff Smith wrote:I set up an official DRM thread in NE Railfan: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 26&t=92805
Thanks Jeff!

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”