Third Rail Gapping

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

lirr42

Third Rail Gapping

Post by lirr42 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:48 pm

Does Metro-North have third-rail gapping problems in Grand Central/some of the other interlockings? It looks like almost all of the diesel trains going into GCT have only 1 engine, so are there very sort gaps in the third rail? I know the LIRR has to run trains into Penn with 2 engines due to gapping issues in HAROLD interlocking. Also, a lot of MNR electric trains run with shorter consists (some with 4 cars), so do they not have trouble in GCT?

DutchRailnut

Re: Third Rail Gaping

Post by DutchRailnut » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:54 pm

problem in NYP is coming out of tunnels your heading uphill so its hard to shove .
GCT is relativly flat , if speed is kept its relativly easy to make it to platforms.
no no problems with short trains as long as engineer is capable.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

Noel Weaver

Post by Noel Weaver » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:49 pm

In the days of all electric operations in Grand Central Terminal the New Haven and the New York Central both ran some very long trains with single electric locomotives (neither railroad MU'd electric locomotives in Grand Central Terminal) and it was very, very rare for a train of either railroad to get gapped. Only incidents I can recall were one or two yard jobs many years ago when there was a slowdown in operations for some reason a couple of yard jobs got gapped and even then most of the time the third rail overhead pantograph could be used to restore power to the motor. Running trains in was a bit more tickelish then running trains out and I ran my share of long rush hour AM trains with motors and I never got gapped and in fact only used the third rail pantograph once or twice. We didn't have terminal clear's in those days either, every move was on a restricting dwarf signal and you had to watch yourself at all times.
Noel Weaver

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:53 pm

I loved those old GCT semaphore's in those days, these new signals of MNCR 2001 are unforgivable ;-)
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”