Harlem-125th St station ... path to 4/5/6 subway?

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

Ridgefielder

Re: Harlem-125th St station ... path to 4/5/6 subway?

Post by Ridgefielder » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:59 pm

amm in ny wrote:
Tommy Meehan wrote:
RearOfSignal wrote:Just don't make eye contact with anyone, you should be fine.
What do you mean, should be?
Well, no place is entirely safe.

However, FWIW, for about 10 years, I used to make the trek along 125th from Lenox to the MN station several times a week, and never saw anything happen. Also went to/from the Lexington Avenue line, too. I'd guess that 125th Street is not any less safe than, say, 42nd Street.

As for not making eye contact: it's no different from anyplace else in NYC. Fleeting eye contact is OK, but you don't want to do anything that could be construed as staring, and that's true in any of the Neighborhoods (of which Harlem is one, but so is Canarsie or Howard Beach.)
I live on E77th street and take this short cut all the time if I'm returning to the city on Sunday. Never been bothered by anyone so far. Granted I'm 6'2" 220 but I've seen plenty of young women/old people/families with children doing the same thing. 125th St. between Park Ave. and Lexington is one of the busiest streets in Manhattan. There are half-a-dozen bus lines and tons of traffic making its way onto and off of the Triboro and Willis Ave. bridges-- not to mention a police substation within the station waiting room. It's not the most scenic part of Manhattan but you're as safe there as you are on 59th, 42nd or 34th.

Remember, the dangerous places in the city are the *empty* ones. I have two acquaintances who have been mugged in Manhattan within the past two years- one was walking down a street in the West 80s between Columbus and Amsterdam late at night; the other was in the E60s between 2nd and 1st, also late.

truck6018

Post by truck6018 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:50 pm

Ridgefielder wrote: not to mention a police substation within the station waiting room.
Yes, but what good is a "substation" when there are often no personnel in it?

bingdude

Post by bingdude » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:33 pm

If you are going to make this trip on a weekday, there is a northern exit from Grand Central Terminal at 48th Street and Park Ave. Short walk to 51st.

I would do that.

Terminal Proceed

Post by Terminal Proceed » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:09 pm

This topic has been beaten to a pulp - can we move on please? The question was asked and answered - very thoroughly I may add.

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”