Metro-North Ridership (overtakes LIRR)

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Metro-North Ridership (overtakes LIRR)

Post by Jeff Smith » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:18 am

It may or may not last long, but it's well earned:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/metr ... 9j7JFk7aAO
Metro-North officially edged out the LIRR in ridership for the first time in nearly three decades — after chugging along and adding passengers for years — making it the newly-minted largest commuter railroad in the country, The Post has learned.

It’s a huge turning point for both agencies, which often have fierce behind-the-scenes competition for money, resources, and respect.

"There are less breakdowns, less disruptions, and service is much more on time on Metro-North," said William Kelly, 50, who rode the LIRR for 16 years before moving to Rye and switching railroads.

In September, Metro-North carried 6,852,667 million people on its rails, a three-percent increase from that month in 2009.

LIRR, on the other hand, carried 6,834,000 riders, a three percent decrease from last September.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/metr ... z154sWSHyo
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

MNCRR9000

Re: Congrats MNRR On Being Largest Comm RR!

Post by MNCRR9000 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:55 am

Interesting article. It would also be interesting to see how that total number of passengers 6,852,667 breaks down per line.

Wayside Observer

Re: Metro-North overtakes LIRR in ridership!

Post by Wayside Observer » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:34 pm

No wonder I can't get a seat on any MN train!! :)

7express

Post by 7express » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:04 pm

MNCRR9000 wrote:Interesting article. It would also be interesting to see how that total number of passengers 6,852,667 breaks down per line.
No concrete numbers obviously, but I would guess the majority are on the New Haven.

7express

Post by 7express » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:06 pm

MNCRR9000 wrote:Interesting article. It would also be interesting to see how that total number of passengers 6,852,667 breaks down per line.

If I had to guess I'd venture to say:
30 percent: Hudson
33 percent: Harlem
37 percent: New Haven.

Once again, those are just my estimates, not actual totals

Kilgore Trout

Post by Kilgore Trout » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:36 am

7express wrote:

If I had to guess I'd venture to say:
30 percent: Hudson
33 percent: Harlem
37 percent: New Haven.

Once again, those are just my estimates, not actual totals
I would believe a breakdown along those lines because of the branch ridership. What would be particularly interesting for all lines is knowing the most common station pairs - I'll assume that most riders are bound for GCT, but I also recall hearing that the NH line outstrips the others in terms of intra-state and reverse commuting (naturally, the line also beats the others for intra-Connecticut riders ;)). I'm sure plenty of interesting statistical analysis could be performed.

At any rate, a high ridership and a well-run operation go hand-in-hand (management aside, I'm talking in terms of providing services to customers). Congratulations!
Welcome to New York Penn Station. You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Tommy Meehan

Post by Tommy Meehan » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:50 am

In September, Metro-North carried 6,852,667 million people on its rails, a three-percent increase from that month in 2009.
I think Metro-North edging out the LIRR for total ridership in September is largely a result of the LIRR's service disruptions that month. It is still amazing though. Once upon a time the Long Island was so far ahead it seemed very doubtful Metro-North would ever catch up.

What I take as the best news is that Metro-North ridership is growing again. With the recession hanging on like a bad head cold that's quite a feat.

checkthedoorlight

Post by checkthedoorlight » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:49 am

Considering that the Hudson is the only line that runs 2 trains an hour offpeak, and usually run shorter trains, I doubt the Hudson has 30% of the ridership. The sheer number of peak hour trains that the NH line runs gives it a pretty big edge.

Harlem = 99 inbounds to GCT a day
Hudson = 75
New Haven = 114 (including 8 from New Canaan and 3 from Danbury)

weakcheeks

Post by weakcheeks » Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:48 am

Metro-North Ridership breakdown. These are approximations.

New Haven Line - 47%
Harlem Line - 33%
Hudson Line - 20%

Tadman

Post by Tadman » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:04 pm

Do they measure in seat-miles too? I've always thought that's a way better indicator of patronage. 10m riders going one mile is much less actual use than 5m riders going 30 miles, but in nominals ticket sold, the 10m riders looks bigger.

The Interloafer

Post by The Interloafer » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:23 pm

No need to guess, folks. The numbers are posted every month on the MTA's website, in this case, beginning on p. 88 of this PDF (a/k/a p. 85 of the document):

New Haven: 3,156,370 (46.1% of M-N ridership)
Harlem: 2,206,183 (32.2% of M-N ridership)
Hudson: 1,331,091 (19.4% of M-N ridership)
Port Jervis: 110,427 (NYS portion only) (1.6% of M-N ridership)
Pascack Valley: 48,596 (NYS portion only) (0.7% of M-N ridership)

Here's how to find these monthly numbers:

1) Go to MTA.info
2) In the lower right corner of the page, click on the "Board Materials" link within the Accountability / Transparency section
3) Click on Board & Committee Materials
4) Select the Metro-North & Long Island Committees monthly update for the month you're interested in.
5) The ridership updates for both railroads are listed respectively within the PDF document along with the rest of the monthly statistics related to revenue, on-time performance, safety performance, etc.
"Might as well travel the elegant way."

Tommy Meehan

Post by Tommy Meehan » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:18 pm

The Interloafer wrote:No need to guess, folks. The numbers are posted every month on the MTA's website, in this case, beginning on p. 88 of this PDF (a/k/a p. 85 of the document):
Thanks. They used to be easier to find, but at least they're still being provided. And now I know where to look. :-)

Steamboat Willie

Post by Steamboat Willie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:39 am

Tom Meehan, speaking of service disruptions MN also had a few disruptions as well. Both carriers have a different outlook of operation during inclement weather (read, LIRR will suspend service til the storm passes over.) Not very reassuring to the riding public.

DutchRailnut

Post by DutchRailnut » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:47 am

I agree and with LIRR carrying over 300 000 passengers per day I believe, the two day shutdowns for hurricane and other weather event explains the 700 000 discrepancy
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

7express

Post by 7express » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:09 pm

weakcheeks wrote:Metro-North Ridership breakdown. These are approximations.

New Haven Line - 47%
Harlem Line - 33%
Hudson Line - 20%

Ehh, if these are the right numbers I was close. Gave New Haven 10% less and Hudson 10% more, otherwise my numbers would've been exactly the same.

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”