Weather Restrictions

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

Train538

Weather Restrictions

Post by Train538 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:10 pm

I just heard District F announce to all trains on the New Haven Line that a level 1 weather restriction is in effect from New Haven to Stamford. Sounds pretty serious because I've never heard it before. What does it mean?
EDIT 1914 hrs: I just came across this link on the LIRR page. Seems to be practically the same to MN.
http://www.mta.info/supplemental/lirr/WinterWeather.htm

"Level 1: Light snowfall, 4 inches or less
Little or no impact on operations/train service.

Level 2: Moderate snowfall, with accumulations of 5 to 9 inches
Operations could be hampered by more than a few inches of snowfall and blowing snow. Walking in parking lots, on stairways and station platforms may be difficult. Expect some delays; and allow for extra travel time.

Level 3: Heavy snowfall, with very difficult conditions
Train service to some branches, especially electric service, could be suspended, depending upon local conditions. Walking in parking lots, on stairways and station platforms is extremely difficult. We try to restore normal service as quickly as possible by pooling our diesel resources and allocating trains to provide the best service to our core branches. We also dedicate our snow-fighting equipment to our most heavily traveled lines. Train travel not encouraged at height of storm. Most (up to 80%) service is cancelled, with our focus on serving essential personnel such as police and fire department personnel.

Level 4: Ice Storms & Blizzards
Ice storm or severe icing conditions that result from sleet or freezing rain may result in track and/or equipment failures; they also make walking outside quite dangerous. A blizzard is a storm that contains large amounts of snow or blowing snow, with continuous winds in excess of 35 mph and visibilities of less than a quarter mile. In the event that either occurs, train movement may be curtailed, especially if there are frozen switches or the loss of third rail power for electric trains. Icing can have a greater impact on travel conditions than heavy snowfall and can develop very quickly."
"We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor? Tower's radio clearance, over! That's Clarence Oveur. Over. Over. Roger. Huh? Roger, over! What? Huh? Who?" (from the movie Airplane!)

DutchRailnut

Re: Weather Restrictions

Post by DutchRailnut » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:22 pm

The weather restrictions are speed restrictions due to tightness of Catenary when temperature drops to fast.
and no it has nothing to do with MTA or LIRR
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

Train538

Post by Train538 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:50 pm

Ah, okay. That makes a lot more sense. Is there a certain speed engineers must run at pending the normal MAS?
"We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor? Tower's radio clearance, over! That's Clarence Oveur. Over. Over. Roger. Huh? Roger, over! What? Huh? Who?" (from the movie Airplane!)

RearOfSignal

Post by RearOfSignal » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:57 pm

No, snow has nothing to do with it. As Dutch said it has to due with extreme heat or cold and its affects on the wire and rail. Only level 4 affects Hudson and Harlem lines, levels 1- 3 apply to New Haven line.

The 60/50 signs on the cat poles, indicate where speeds need to be reduced and on certain levels the overall speed is reduced over an extended portion of track. Of course there is a full table indicating these locations in the employee timetable.
Hurry up and wait at the signal!

Clean Cab

Post by Clean Cab » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:35 pm

Level 1: MAS on all tracks. 70 MPH max & 60 MPH on 5 tight curves between CP 241 and CP 261

Level 2: MAS on all tracks between CP 212 to CP 241. 70 max & 50 MPH on the same 5 curves. MAS CP 261 to Div Post.
Last edited by Clean Cab on Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm stuck on a sandbar on Cape Cod, and I couldn't be happier!!!

Train538

Post by Train538 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:46 pm

The temperature is the factor here. I gotcha. Now that I think about it, it is 19 degrees Fahrenheit here in Southport!! :razz:

Really? Not to sound weird, but I've always been wondering what those signs were for! (LOL) I thought they were only for freight/work trains. Thanks for clarifying guys.

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”