Passenger overload

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

excitebike

Passenger overload

Post by excitebike » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:25 pm

Does anyone know what happened to train 1590 tonight? Getting on at 125th street was like trying to wedge oneself onto the 4 train at Grand Central at 7am. I felt bad for the conductor -- not a nice Christmas gift for her.

Is there a maximum load that the M2's will accept before acceleration or braking would be too adversely affected to safely operate? Has Metro North ever refused entry to a train that was overfull?

waldwickrailfan

Re: Passenger overload

Post by waldwickrailfan » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:52 am

today i saw holiday train 99 to Port Jervis. when it passed by Waldwick, a 7 car train was filled completely and not any standing room. however the train was ahead of schedule. and yes this is a WOH Metro-North train.
CSX SD50-2

Amtrak7

Post by Amtrak7 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:42 am

If an inbound train is overfull, they will express it. Outbound, I don't know what they do.

SecaucusJunction

Post by SecaucusJunction » Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:53 pm

I was in Tarrytown for a good part of the afternoon yesterday and they did a decent job of handling crowds. They ran Beacon express trains ahead of the Croton Harmon expresses to spread out the crowds. Local trains on the lower half of the line were full but didnt look overly bad.
I think it may be possible that NJ Transit might not be the perfect, infallible organization that most people assume it is.

Steamboat Willie

Post by Steamboat Willie » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:44 pm

Amtrak 7 I am not sure where you get your information from about inbounds expressing if the passenger count exceeds a normal level. All trains must make its scheduled station stops. Earlier this year during the blizzard, which I worked, they were not running direct service from NHV to NY, they had electrics for the upper half and bomb trains for the lower half. I was the receiving end of the passenger load at Stamford and when I tell you we couldn't fit another soul on we couldn't. RTC had instructed us to make all scheduled stops, and you guessed it anyone trying to get off and or get on couldn't. I used to work a pretty busy reverse commute train from NHV, which made Greenich coming down. Our normal 8 car train was downsized to 4 due to a good percentage of the fleet shopped. Train was jam packed at Stamford stranding dozens of people behind. And we still had to make Greenich despite us notifying the RTC of the conditions. So you my friend are wrong, sorry.

RearOfSignal

Post by RearOfSignal » Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:52 pm

Actually, I've seen this happen, that same winter on the New Haven Line when the fleet was severely decimated. We did a Harrison zipper with bomb equipment in the AM rush, the previous train had been annulled. By the time we got to Larchmont it was packed out, we spent 8 minutes at Larchmont loading. We informed the RTC then made New Rochelle then were ordered to express to H125, but only because there was another zipper immediately behind us. But typically, no stops are skipped.
Hurry up and wait at the signal!

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”