Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#998849  by northjerseybuff

Ok, before dutchrailnut or anyone grills me...please read
Is Binghamton out of Metro Norths region? I know Montauk is a good 3 hours? from NYPS..Binghamton is only another hour

If Binghmton leaders wanted rail service..how much money realistically would it cost for 2 round trips up the tier? Port Jervis then Binghamton..no other stops?
 #998859  by DutchRailnut

Binghamton is roughly 214 miles from New York in rail miles. way beyond the MTA service region of 75 mile radius (plus or minus)
a railtrip would take 3 hours from Port Jervis to Binghamton at current track speeds.

http://www.trainweb.org/southerntier/li ... asoul.html
 #998862  by truck6018

Binghamton is way out of Metro North's reach. By car, from Middletown to Binghamton is approximately 120 miles (2 hours) and that's a straight run up Route 17. By rail, from Port Jervis you might shave off a little time.

As it stands, NY Penn Station to Port Jervis is approximately a 2 1/2 hour ride. Adding another 2 hours would be pushing it for commuters or weekend warriors to make it cost effective.

If there was any real need, I would think commuting from that Port Jervis region to Binghamton might be better warranted for commuters to Binghamton (similar to the reverse commuters to White Plains or Stamford). This is not something that should be with in the scope of Metro North's operations.
 #998872  by MTASUPT

Not likely to be considered, Unless Amtrak wants to divert a route or two...
 #998907  by N4J

On one of the Amtrak wishlists , Binghamton was listed on there via the Lackawanna Corridor. With speed improvements that route can be knocked down to 2hrs...
 #998910  by Noel Weaver

Nexis4Jersey wrote:On one of the Amtrak wishlists , Binghamton was listed on there via the Lackawanna Corridor. With speed improvements that route can be knocked down to 2hrs...
Binghamton in two hours?????? I like trains but I do not want to be on any attempts to do this one in two hours. Binghamton has bus service to New York and in this case buses will do the job cheaper and probably better as well than trains can. This topic has come up numerous times and the answer today is exactly the same as it was last year, the year before that and previously.
Noel Weaver
Last edited by Noel Weaver on Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #998921  by SecaucusJunction

Nexis4Jersey wrote:On one of the Amtrak wishlists , Binghamton was listed on there via the Lackawanna Corridor. With speed improvements that route can be knocked down to 2hrs...
Yes, there are about 8 things wrong with that statement. First and foremost is that it takes NJT 90 minutes just to get to Dover. Yes, limited stops could help, but no where near that much. I believe it is at least 180-200 rail miles. Not even the Acela could accomplish that in 2 hours. Also, the cutoff to Scranton is gone and only coming back to Andover... not Pennsylvania. Anything past that won't happen in any of our lifetimes.
 #998949  by northjerseybuff

SJ it is NOT dead west of Andover! It may not reach Scranton, but they applied for funding to East Stroudsburg/Analomink in the next authorization of the transportation bill. Please go by facts and not what some railfan told you!
 #998963  by N4J

Seeing that Amtrak would not stop at every stop like NJT does , i think its doable....with Electrification...
 #998975  by DutchRailnut

Nexis4Jersey wrote:....with Electrification...
right .................keep on dreaming
 #998982  by N4J

DutchRailnut wrote:
Nexis4Jersey wrote:....with Electrification...
right .................keep on dreaming
So Electrification is not possible?
 #998993  by DutchRailnut

no and there is no way the tier will be electrified or it will no longer fit double stacks.
And third rail is out of question, you got lots of D cells ??