WOH inspection train?

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

northjerseybuff
Posts: 2593
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:20 pm

WOH inspection train?

Post by northjerseybuff » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:29 am

Due to the severe damage from Irene, there was no WOH trip this year. Will there be one in 2012? Also any updates on the replacement of the ex phoebe snow lounge cars? thanks
"I'm an analog man in a digital world"

DutchRailnut
Posts: 22227
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: released from Stalag 13

Re: WOH inspection train?

Post by DutchRailnut » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:16 am

Yes there will be one in 2012, and no they have not started on replacements
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

peanut1
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:53 am
Location: Babylon

Re: WOH inspection train?

Post by peanut1 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:19 am

Why are they replacing the WOH inspection cars and What would they be replaced with?

DutchRailnut
Posts: 22227
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: released from Stalag 13

Re: WOH inspection train?

Post by DutchRailnut » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:20 am

Because of age, they will be replaced with rebuild bombardier cars, in push-pull configuration.
target cars are two NJT cab cars (Comet III) now sitting in Crotton Harmon.
lack of funds has project currently on hold.
The old cars will eventually go to URHS and Steamtown
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

northjerseybuff
Posts: 2593
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:20 pm

Re: WOH inspection train?

Post by northjerseybuff » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:33 pm

I hope not to URHS, maybe the EL dining car society would be a better fit as they run excursions already. If the URHS get one, it will rust away sadly
"I'm an analog man in a digital world"

R36 Combine Coach
Posts: 5479
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:51 pm

Re: WOH inspection train?

Post by R36 Combine Coach » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:49 pm

DutchRailnut wrote:Because of age, they will be replaced with rebuild bombardier cars, in push-pull configuration.
target cars are two NJT cab cars (Comet III) now sitting in Crotton Harmon.
lack of funds has project currently on hold.
The old cars will eventually go to URHS and Steamtown
They are 5009 and 5010, built as MNCR 5179-5180 in 1991 and tranferred to NJT in 1998. Even as MNCR cars, they were almost never used on the WoH lines, but mainly on the Newark Division.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.

peanut1
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:53 am
Location: Babylon

Re: WOH inspection train?

Post by peanut1 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:21 pm

Going a little off topic here, Why were they transferred?

DutchRailnut
Posts: 22227
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: released from Stalag 13

Re: WOH inspection train?

Post by DutchRailnut » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:02 am

Cause they are centerdoor cars and centerdoors are useless on Port Jervis.
currently only centerdoor cars are built due to ADA.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

SecaucusJunction
Posts: 3081
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:40 pm
Location: NS Watchdog

Re: WOH inspection train?

Post by SecaucusJunction » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:24 am

If all the cars now must have center doors, why are all of the PJ Line stations still low level? The doors are useless without high levels. Meanwhile, MTA has no problem building high level platforms at just about every rinky dink station along their EOH MN and LIRR lines because of car doors.
I think it may be possible that NJ Transit might not be the perfect, infallible organization that most people assume it is.

blockline4180
Posts: 5543
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:58 am
Location: NJ and me, Broke Together!

Re: WOH inspection train?

Post by blockline4180 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:27 am

SecaucusJunction wrote:If all the cars now must have center doors, why are all of the PJ Line stations still low level? The doors are useless without high levels. Meanwhile, MTA has no problem building high level platforms at just about every rinky dink station along their EOH MN and LIRR lines because of car doors.

The MNCRR Comet V's all have center doors, so you are right in that it doesn't make much sense to use them on WOH service, if as you say, most of the PJ Line stations are still low level!
~Steve Pellettiere
Co-Moderator: DL&W/Erie/EL Forum
"Each of us makes his own weather, determines the color of the skies in the emotional universe which he inhabits."

SecaucusJunction
Posts: 3081
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:40 pm
Location: NS Watchdog

Re: WOH inspection train?

Post by SecaucusJunction » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:36 am

Maybe they should swap out a few comet V's with some EOH non-center door Shoreliners. Ha! Could you imagine seeing comet V's headed down the Hudson Line through Peekskill.
I think it may be possible that NJ Transit might not be the perfect, infallible organization that most people assume it is.

peanut1
Posts: 369
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:53 am
Location: Babylon

Re: WOH inspection train?

Post by peanut1 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:31 pm

SecaucusJunction wrote:Maybe they should swap out a few comet V's with some EOH non-center door Shoreliners. Ha! Could you imagine seeing comet V's headed down the Hudson Line through Peekskill.
They can't run on EOH Metro north if I'm correct due to the third rail?

DutchRailnut
Posts: 22227
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:02 pm
Location: released from Stalag 13

Re: WOH inspection train?

Post by DutchRailnut » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:38 pm

The Comet V's are not cleared for GCT, the under floor boxes do not clear signals in terminal

as for high level platforms on Port Jervice line, maybe soon, depenging on ammended lease or ownership by MTA
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.

Steamtown Observer
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:25 pm
Location: Northeastern PA

Re: WOH inspection train?

Post by Steamtown Observer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:53 am

DutchRailnut wrote:Because of age, they will be replaced with rebuild bombardier cars, in push-pull configuration.
target cars are two NJT cab cars (Comet III) now sitting in Crotton Harmon.
lack of funds has project currently on hold.
The old cars will eventually go to URHS and Steamtown
Perhaps instead of Steamtown they mean the Erie Lackawanna Dining Car Preservation Society since it is based in Scranton. That makes more sense since they already own both of the Phoebe Snow diners that the TLs were designed to run with. As for URHS, the only reason for them to get it would be so that their officers could go play rail baron on Amtrak charters like they do these days on the Hickory Creek. The story I hear is that the second TL will go to a New York State based museum - I have heard both the Rochester & Genessee Valley or the two Long Island museums mentioned.
SO

TDowling
Posts: 526
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:36 pm
Location: West Point, NY

Re: WOH inspection train?

Post by TDowling » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:24 pm

DutchRailnut wrote: as for high level platforms on Port Jervis line, maybe soon, depending on amended lease or ownership by MTA
Interesting...I wonder if NS is getting in the way of making the platforms high level???

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”