Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#995912  by DutchRailnut

Bridgeport, Ct., delegation expects approval of state funds for Barnum Station
Wednesday, December 07, 2011

The Bridgeport, Ct., legislative delegation, led by Chair Rep. Andres Ayala, anticipates $1 million in state funding to be approved by the State Bond Commission when they meet Friday December 9, to begin ground work on a second train station that Rep. Ayala says will bring significant benefits to East Side commuters and the entire city.

"The site of this second rail station will spur further economic development. Currently, the city of Bridgeport has numerous projects in this area which would be well served by the second station," Rep. Ayala said. "This could be the spark which ignites further investment opportunities and better jobs and housing for our residents. As chairman of the Bonding Subcommittee on Transportation, I am pleased to see this project move forward."

http://www.rtands.com/newsflash/bridgep" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... -4799.html
Last edited by Jeff Smith on Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Edited Title to Reflect Current Information
 #995938  by N4J

A Streetcar system would reduce the need for this extra station , but I guess this is just as good.... Those projects on the Eastern Side of Bridgeport are huge , so i'm not sure just a station would do it....
 #995941  by Amtrak7

BRP and Stratford aren't as far apart as Fairfield and Bridgeport, so is a second station really needed?

The more station stops, the longer the travel time for NHV passengers...although it may only be a couple of minutes, the percieved additional time is much longer.
 #995949  by Clean Cab

I think the money should be spent to expand the current Bridgeport Station. Install 10 car legnth center island platforms and build another parking garage. Adding more station stops just makes train travel that much longer.
 #995988  by Ridgefielder

Clean Cab wrote:I think the money should be spent to expand the current Bridgeport Station. Install 10 car legnth center island platforms and build another parking garage. Adding more station stops just makes train travel that much longer.
Wouldn't adding island platforms at Bridgeport be mega-expensive? You'd have to rebuild the whole viaduct.
 #996023  by RearOfSignal

Ridgefielder wrote:
Clean Cab wrote:I think the money should be spent to expand the current Bridgeport Station. Install 10 car legnth center island platforms and build another parking garage. Adding more station stops just makes train travel that much longer.
Wouldn't adding island platforms at Bridgeport be mega-expensive? You'd have to rebuild the whole viaduct.
Not the whole viaduct, just where the platforms would be. At least this way Amtrak trains wouldn't have to cross over from the inside tracks to stop at Bridgeport, I'm sure that would alleviate some train traffic in the area.
 #996136  by Noel Weaver

Bridgeport is not exactly growing and building another station there would be a huge waste of money. Even expansion of the present station is probably not necessary and certainally island platforms would be another waste. Some folks come up with some pretty odd schemes and this is one of them at least in my opinion. Maybe in the future IF something great gets built in the area then and only then it could be considered but again cost is an item and really the trains are making enough stops as it is. Build something first then talk railroad station.
Noel Weaver
 #996166  by andre

looks like the politicians down in bridgeport have station envy after fairfield just cut the ribbon on their second station ;-)
 #996274  by Clean Cab

Center island platforms at Bridgeport make a lot of sence for two main reasons. 1. Cross platform connections for Waterbury Branch trains. 2. More platform space. Keep in mind that Bridgeport is a stop for MN, Amtrak and Waterbury trains.
 #996281  by Noel Weaver

Clean Cab wrote:Center island platforms at Bridgeport make a lot of sence for two main reasons. 1. Cross platform connections for Waterbury Branch trains. 2. More platform space. Keep in mind that Bridgeport is a stop for MN, Amtrak and Waterbury trains.
Bridgeport is not the same major station that Stamford is and the trains only stop and go there. The only thing they probably need there would be a stub end track to lay the Waterbury up on while waiting for the connection from New York. The Waterbury is the only train that lays over there. Too bad the East Ramp is not still in place, it would have made an ideal place for the Waterbury.
Noel Weaver
 #996336  by Steamboat Willie

Noel, with the expansion of Bridgeport yard you will see in the future more trains originating/terminating in Bridgeport. To some extent it may become like Stamford. Just wait when the entire fleet is replaced by M8s, track work is nearing completion with the rebuilding of bridges and overhead wire. The schedules are going to undergo changes.
 #996360  by RearOfSignal

There's a thread somewhere on here that talked about splitting up the NH Line into three sections NY - Stamford, Stamford - Bridgeport and Bridgeport - New Haven. With ridership and SRO trains I wonder if this will become a reality.
 #996367  by DutchRailnut

not really possible the amount of trains required would exceed track capacity.
currently most trains are doing 45 mph cause they followe other trains, we got to many trains as it is.