HELP -Need this info about Metro North in the 80's ASAP

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

jupdlx

HELP -Need this info about Metro North in the 80's ASAP

Post by jupdlx » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:40 pm

I'm currently doing research for a screenwriter pertaining to NYC in the mid 1980's and need to track down some information about Metro-North circa 1985.

The main info I need is:

A) Did the Metro North ever run all night in 1985? (Specifically trains out of Grand Central on the Hudson line)
B) If not, around what time did trains stop running?

Thanks so much, any information would be GREATLY appreciated!

Noel Weaver

Re: HELP -Need this info about Metro North in the 80's ASAP

Post by Noel Weaver » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:31 am

To answer the questions; all night service ended in the early 70's, long before Metro-North and at a time when the ridership was not nearly has heavy as it is in 2011. When the decision was made to close Grand Central Terminal it was decided that the last departures would be at 1:30 AM and the next ones would be at 5:30 AM. In my personal opinion it is only a matter of time till it is decided that at least some all night service out of GCT would be warranted, maybe a few years down the road but I think it will eventually happen. Of course on New Year's Eve there is all night service out of New York and it is well used but this is a special occasion.
I can well remember train 362 on the New Haven Railroad, it left Grand Central Terminal at 3:00 AM and it skipped 125th Street but that was almost the only station that it did skip. All stops to Stamford with cars to drop at Mount Vernon, New Rochelle, Rye Hole and Stamford and to pick up sometimes at Bridgeport. About four hours to New Haven. At times this was a New York based job and at other times it was the return for a crew out of New Haven. Some of the time there was a train out of New York at around 4:40 AM which also made the local stops to Stamford with a single 4400 class MU car and at Stamford it closed in behind 362 and passengers for east of Stamford could walk up and get on 362. In earlier years train 380 would also leave and make the stops to Stamford (at least most of them anyway) and 362 would go into the yard (up track 6) to clear so 380 could continue east on track 4 making stops to New Haven and 362 would follow 380 out of Stamford. These were the days, last trick on the New Haven was pretty busy in the 50's and 60's.
Noel Weaver

RedbirdR33

Post by RedbirdR33 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:26 pm

Except for New Year's Eve and a few other special events Metro-North has never operated all night service out of GCT.

The last weekday trains were as follows in 1985.

In 1985 the last Hudson Line train was No 703 leaving at 120AM and making all stops to Croton - Harmon.

The last Harlem Line train was No 903 leaving at 130AM and making all stops to Brewster North. (now Southeast)

The last New Haven Line train was No 1502 also leaving at 130AM and making all stops to New Haven.

Larry, RedbirdR33

R36 Combine Coach

Post by R36 Combine Coach » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:46 pm

It was only recently (circa 2004-5) that late night service was extended with the last train at 1:50 AM, with GCT closing at 2AM.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.

Tommy Meehan

Post by Tommy Meehan » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:24 pm

Noel Weaver wrote:Some of the time there was a train out of New York at around 4:40 AM which also made the local stops to Stamford with a single 4400 class MU car and at Stamford it closed in behind 362 and passengers for east of Stamford could walk up and get on 362.
Very interesting stuff here, as always Noel.

I wanted to ask about the MU train you mention. Was this one open car or a one car train? I never heard of a single MU car out of GCT before.

Btw, I'm not doubting it just want to make sure I understand it right.

Noel Weaver

Post by Noel Weaver » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:58 pm

Train 202 normally ran with one car (4400 class MU) five days a week to Stamford where it closed in behind 362 and the passengers headed east of Stamford walked up and got on the one coach at the rear end of 362 to continue east. The only other places where normally one car trains operated was occasionally on the New Canaan Dink when there was a shortage of equipment at Stamford and on the Danbury Dink which had one 4400 as well except in the winter time when they put an old green MU on this train because of icing conditions on the wire, the green MU's had two pantographs.
Noel Weaver

truck6018

Post by truck6018 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:28 pm

R36 Combine Coach wrote:It was only recently (circa 2004-5) that late night service was extended with the last train at 1:50 AM, with GCT closing at 2AM.
Currently that's the last Hudson Line train providing service to all stops from GCT to Croton Harmon and connects to local service to Poughkeepsie.

There is also a 1:53 AM Stamford local and a 1:56 AM Southeast local making all stops from GCT to Southeast with the exception of Melrose and Tremont. Once the 1:56 departs then the police kick everyone else out and the terminal closes up until 5:15 am with the first train departing at 5:35 am (on weekday's it's a Stamford local, on weekends a New Haven local making all stops from GCT to New Haven).

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”