Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#989212  by Train322

Why do some stations on the New Haven line (like Milford) not have ticket machines on the north (east) bound platford? Some have two or three heading to NY.
Recently, the train to NY was on the track normally heading to New Haven and people who were late, had a tough time buying the ticket on the other platform and crossing over.

Is it union rules that restrict the number of machines? If so, they should change since it causes problems for the customers.

Also, do they have machines at all stations on the branches? The MTA website does not seem to indicate. Will the riders pay the on-board fare?

If so, again, the paying public suffers.

If they had more machines, perhaps higher ridership outside of NYC where available seats exist.
 #989214  by DutchRailnut

No union rules anymore, originaly they could only install x amount of machines.
On Branch lines not all stations have ticket machines so they will not penalize onboard puchases when traveling from those stations, the Conductor however can only sell you a one way.
so for return trip you need to buy one at machine or ticket counter.
 #989274  by Amtrak7

Following MNR stations have no machines:

New Canaan Branch except New Canaan itself
Danbury Branch except Wilton and Danbury
Entire Waterbury Branch
Weekender's stops (Appalachian, Breakneck, Manitou, Mt Pleasant)
 #989318  by truck6018

It is my best guess that here are no TVM's on the east bound Millford platform, or north bound New Hamburg platform is because there is little ridership only going the one stop in that direction. Yes when there is a track change it can be problematic.
 #989557  by Train322

Thanks - I do see people traveling east from the outer stations.
Some stations have three machines heading west.

I still think it could encourage riders to fill seats in area's where the trains are not full.