Weird noise on the M7A

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, Jeff Smith, FL9AC

lilbluefoxie

Weird noise on the M7A

Post by lilbluefoxie » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:01 pm

Earlier while I was riding up to Croton Harmon I noticed this wierd sound that went over the PA system, sounds like something out of like star wars or star trek, its defenately not someones phone cuz Ive heard it before every other time i've been on an M7A, it is always followed by the usual ding dong sound.

Amtrak7

Re: Wierd noise on the M7A

Post by Amtrak7 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:02 pm

Is it a 3-tone sound? That's something having to do with the announcement system booting up (I think), I've heard it on many LIRR M7's just before or just after leaving the first stop.

lilbluefoxie

Post by lilbluefoxie » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:20 pm

Amtrak7 wrote:Is it a 3-tone sound? That's something having to do with the announcement system booting up (I think), I've heard it on many LIRR M7's just before or just after leaving the first stop.
its not the propulsion noise, that I know, its this wierd techno type sound, ive been on the LIRR tons of times on all 12 branches and I never heard it on any M7 that I have been on.

RearOfSignal

Post by RearOfSignal » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:54 pm

It's the chime function on the PA system. It's completely useless except to annoy crew and passenger alike. Occasionally engineers will use it crossing over an interlocking letting us know to hang on or there's a wheel chair on the platform, or "man on the roof". But 97.6% of the time it's by accident or a bad PA panel.
Hurry up and wait at the signal!

lilbluefoxie

Post by lilbluefoxie » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:00 pm

apparently the Long Island Railroad M7s have it too, as I heard it go off on the Brooklyn branch train I was on today.

brettj22

Re: Weird noise on the M7A

Post by brettj22 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:36 am

I've heard something that was, I think, an 8-note sequence at the end of a run on moth LIRR & MNCR. Once while waiting to depart Southeast I could have sworn I heard a "Thank You for Riding Metro North Railroad" message that I had never heard before either...

RearOfSignal

Post by RearOfSignal » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:44 am

brettj22 wrote:I've heard something that was, I think, an 8-note sequence at the end of a run on moth LIRR & MNCR. Once while waiting to depart Southeast I could have sworn I heard a "Thank You for Riding Metro North Railroad" message that I had never heard before either...
No, that's something else. That is the start up message for the ASI; happens when there is a error in the system and it restarts itself.
Hurry up and wait at the signal!

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:05 pm

RearOfSignal wrote:
brettj22 wrote:I've heard something that was, I think, an 8-note sequence at the end of a run on moth LIRR & MNCR. Once while waiting to depart Southeast I could have sworn I heard a "Thank You for Riding Metro North Railroad" message that I had never heard before either...
No, that's something else. That is the start up message for the ASI; happens when there is a error in the system and it restarts itself.

Kind of like how when you reset your computer, it makes the start up noise (i.e the Windows start up noise).

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”