ssshhht passengers approve quiet cars

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

Terminal Proceed

Re: ssshhht passengers approve quiet cars

Post by Terminal Proceed » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:57 am

I think part of the difference between 2 people holding a conversation vs. a cell phone call is that, many times people on cell phones speak in a significantly raised voice as opposed to having a conversation in a hushed tone with someone seated next to them. The microphones on cell phones pick up ambient background noise quite well and sometimes people need to speak up to be heard - or think they need to. Not to mention the fact that unless someone seated next to you has a hearing aid which is powered off, the - "can you hear me now" gets very annoying.

I am certainly NO fan of quiet cars. I just think that society needs to get back to the basics of common decency - and not having to legislate it. If people would do the decent thing and move to a vestibule to carry out extended phone conversations the need for quiet cars would be virtually nonexistent.

Matthew Mitchell

Post by Matthew Mitchell » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:14 pm

The pilot program has been so successful it will be rolled out systemwide on all rush hour trains next month.

Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Post by Jeff Smith » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:36 pm

And here's the source: http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/quiet_cars.html
Due to popular demand, Metro-North is expanding its "Quiet CALMmute" program to all inbound AM and outbound PM Peak trains on the Hudson, Harlem & New Haven Lines starting Monday, April 2nd.

For those customers who have never taken one of our trains featuring a quiet car, please keep in mind:

During the AM Peak (inbound to Grand Central), the LAST CAR of these trains will be designated a quiet car.
During the PM Peak (outbound from Grand Central), the FIRST CAR of these trains will be designated a quiet car.
Reverse Peak trains are not included in our Quiet CALMmute program.

Customers Traveling On Quiet Cars should:

Not use cell phones.
Disable sound features on computers & other electronic devices.
Conduct conversations in a subdued voice.
Use headphones at a volume that cannot be heard by fellow passengers.

To spread and reinforce the message about Metro-North’s “Quiet CALMmute” cars, conductors will hand out on an “as needed basis” specially designed “Shhhhhh” cards that explain the rules of etiquette in English and Spanish.

Please Note: All regular announcements will continue to be made in the designated quiet cars. For those of you who wish to commute in our quiet cars, we say enjoy the “CALMmute.” For more information, call Metro-North Customer Service at 511 (in CT, 877-690-5114).
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator/Co-Owner

RearOfSignal

Post by RearOfSignal » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:02 pm

Notice that MNR states that customers "should" not "must" refrain from using cell phones or talking and because of this conductors cannot enforce silence, only hand out the cards and ask for compliance.
Hurry up and wait at the signal!

Tadman

Post by Tadman » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:40 am

I think quiet cars are also useful just for general peace and quiet. I don't mind kids at all but I would prefer if someone's hellions are going to be cut loose on the train, that they're not in my car. I also don't want to hear someone else's music because their phones are turned up so loud.

A quiet car is a great thing. When aboard, I always visit the vestibule if I have to make a call.

Matthew Mitchell

Post by Matthew Mitchell » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:31 pm

You'd be surprised, Tad. There've been a few times I've taken the kids home on a weekday train, and they make a point of wanting to show they can ride in the quiet car. Other times there've been non-regulars with kids in the quiet car, and some of the regulars give the kids a lot of positive reinforcement for behaving so well.

But the quiet car story that tops them all so far was the lady I saw on an NJT NEC line train who had two tiny dogs in an oversized tote bag. I raised an eyebrow when I saw them boarding, but they were exquisitely behaved.

Respect the QuietRide...

--MDM

Tadman

Post by Tadman » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:07 am

Matt, excellent point. A lot of people have great kids, it's the few with brats that make a bad impression for everybody. I don't mind if good kids ride in the quiet car with me at all, they're people, too. Heck there are some times when I've had a few beers and I've got friends with me and I have no business in the quiet car. It's just a matter of knowing what's right at the time of your ride.

Patrick A.

Post by Patrick A. » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:04 am

I haven't had the opportunity to utilize the Quiet Cars on MNR but I can say that I am a huge fan of them on Amtrak. I've taken the Acela several times over the past few months and make a point to sit in the quiet car. Based on what I've been hearing on here the pilot program seems to be going well enough to expand it system wide to all the peak trains, so next time I find myself on MNR during peak service I'll have to give it a go.
I have lived to ride on the M8.

Complete Constant Tension on the New Haven Line ETC: Mid-2018

Return to “MTA Metro-North Railroad and CtDOT Passenger Rail”